Underwater sealant for corner overflow (acrylic to glass)

AI Hydra

Ed Kaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my power went out for a few hours and I noticed my sump level starting to get very high? Checked it out and found that my corner over-flows were not completely sealed. Luckily my power came back on... My tank is a 180 gal bow w/acrylic corner over-flows that are attached to the glass. Is there any way to re-seal the seams with water in the tank. Maybe some type of underwater sealant that would not harm livestock while curing? Tank is fully stocked and it would be very difficulty to drain? Thanks...

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well my power went out for a few hours and I noticed my sump level starting to get very high? Checked it out and found that my corner over-flows were not completely sealed. Luckily my power came back on... My tank is a 180 gal bow w/acrylic corner over-flows that are attached to the glass. Is there any way to re-seal the seams with water in the tank. Maybe some type of underwater sealant that would not harm livestock while curing? Tank is fully stocked and it would be very difficulty to drain? Thanks...
Unfortunately, you will have to lower water level to below the overflow box. Scrape off old silicone COMPLETELY and alcohol wipe clean and re-seal with aquarium sealant- Not silicone such as Marineland or aqueon brand and allow to dry a full 24-30 hours.
You can run water flow and even airstone will sealant is curing and if there is any maintenance youve been wanting to do in sump - now would be opportune time

OP
OP
E

Ed Kaz

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, you will have to lower water level to below the overflow box. Scrape off old silicone COMPLETELY and alcohol wipe clean and re-seal with aquarium sealant- Not silicone such as Marineland or aqueon brand and allow to dry a full 24-30 hours.
You can run water flow and even airstone will sealant is curing and if there is any maintenance youve been wanting to do in sump - now would be opportune time
Thanks for the reply...I am sorry. Maybe I was not clear. The seams in the MAIN DISPLAY overflow are leaking (not sump). I understand what you are saying and it does not matter (display/sump) ...no underwater repair! There has to be something and someone must have came across this? Draining main tank is out of the question!

Avast

hrdneglcry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply...I am sorry. Maybe I was not clear. The seams in the MAIN DISPLAY overflow are leaking (not sump). I understand what you are saying and it does not matter (display/sump) ...no underwater repair! There has to be something and someone must have came across this? Draining main tank is out of the question!
The problem I think you will run into is this. While there are underwater sealants it is likely that they will be poisonous to fish. Not all sealants are ok to use on an aquarium. I can send you this link of underwater sealant but if it kills all of your livestock what is the point. I used a clear silicone once that was not for aquariums and all my fish went belly up. Luckily it was used on rockwork so when I removed it and did a water change the fish recovered. You may have to live with it if you aren't willing to drain the tank. If no one here knows you could try contacting a well known aqaurium and asking them. The Toledo Zoo has a nice aquarium in Ohio. As an example. They might answer and let you know.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok, I thought you were referring to overflows. If youre asking about a sealant that works underwater, Ive been doing this 40 years and yet to see one, or one that accomplishes that.
I know its a nightmare pain in the XXXX but you can utilize a Rubbermaid like tub for temporary housing or if youve been considering an upgrade, now may be the ideal opportunity

hrdneglcry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also purchase a battery back up for when the power fails and hook only your pump to it. Then if power fails you won't get overflow. Maybe a power inverter or generator if power doesn't come on for a long time.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
Nutramar Foods
AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back