Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed today that my clownfish had white stringy poo, I've also noticed over the past week that all of my fish (except for my court jester) have been eating a bit less at feeding times- although they have no other symptoms and otherwise seem healthy (the court jester has some frayed fins, but this looks more like it has torn them rather than being fin rot, but I am keeping a close eye incase). I am reluctant to dose my tank with meds and have read that binding the medication to food is a lot more effective for internal parasites anyway. I've got some Tremazol here which just contains praziquantel, I was wondering if there is an alternative to Seachem Focus or MetroPlex available in the UK? Also wondering how the clown could have an internal parasite as I haven't added anything new for 5 months and have been feeding frozen?

If I were to dose the tank with the Tremazol instead what inverts would the medication be likely to negatively impact? I've got hermits, snails, stars, peanut worms, fan worms, clams that hitchhiked and something else I haven't been able to identify and I would like to avoid killing them if possible.

Also my court jester just grazes pods etc. off the rocks and sand so wouldn't be able to get him to eat medicated food- will I have to dose the tank if that's the case? I am currently cycling a new tank and some media for QT. Once the tanks ready and has a decent pod population going I will be moving all my rocks and current livestock over so was thinking I could give him a medicated bath/ treatment in QT before transferring him to the new tank once it's ready as he will be pretty difficult to catch with rocks still in the tank. Should I just risk it and dose my entire tank instead of going down the food route?

Any help would be appreciated, have tried to search to see if there was an alternative to Focus, but haven't seen anything so just checking. Thanks!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EU regulations can make finding effective fish medications tricky. o_O

When I lived there, Cupramine was available for ich/velvet... But I'm told many UK hobbyists use Waterlife brand medications nowadays: http://www.waterlife.co.uk/marine/disease-treatments-2014-02-05

For this particular problem (internal parasites/intestinal worms), I would use API General Cure as it contains both prazi + metro: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aquarium-Pharmaceuticals-na-General-Powder/dp/B007R5M7V6

I've also seen people say they've successfully used Fluke-Solve: https://www.fish-treatment.co.uk/shop/fluke-solve-10-gram-sachet/

I've also seen good reviews on these products: http://wormerplus.co.uk

Instead of Seachem Focus to bind the above medications to food, you can use unflavored gelatin. Agar is another good option, as it's made from seaweed and/or algae.

Avast

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird.... I live in Continental Europe and the full Seachem product line is widely available in most LFSs. What is not available this side of the channel are things like Prazipro as well as the Mardel product line... [emoji848].

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird.... I live in Continental Europe and the full Seachem product line is widely available in most LFSs. What is not available this side of the channel are things like Prazipro as well as the Mardel product line... [emoji848].

Is there a website with Seachem meds UK reefers could order from? I saw Paraguard and some other Seachem products listed on a few UK sites. But couldn't find a place to buy Metroplex, Kanaplex, Focus, etc.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
K

Kiala

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't seem to find anything other than Cupramine/ Paraguard either. Like I said I've got that Tremazol so I can try that with agar to bind it to food or do you think it would be better to try something like API cure?

Amrik

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, Waterlifes Sterazin treats internal worms however it isnt safe for any inverts or coral so you would need to have a hospital tank set up. If a hospital tank isnt available they also have a product called Octozin which is claimed to be reef safe. Ive used Octozin in the past and it is in a tablet form so you would need to use precise scales to get the dosage for your tank size. They're both available on SwellUk. Hope this helps :)

Amrik

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, Waterlifes Sterazin treats internal worms however it isnt safe for any inverts or coral so you would need to have a hospital tank set up. If a hospital tank isnt available they also have a product called Octozin which is claimed to be reef safe. Ive used Octozin in the past and it is in a tablet form so you would need to use precise scales to get the dosage for your tank size. They're both available on SwellUk. Hope this helps :)

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went on Seachem.co.uk and oddly enough the only medicine they appear to have available is Paraguard... perhaps I would try and contact them to see if thry could point you in the right direction or at least explain why it is not available in the U.K. (Apparently).

German stores typically store Aquarium Munster products, maybe worth checking as well.

OP
OP
K

Kiala

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had came across something on the Seachem website/ some forum where someone had asked them and I think they stated it was due to EU import restrictions or something, I can't find it now though... it's weird that it's available in Germany and France and not here. I'll get something sorted anyway, just found out that my ferret has cancer so I'm not in the headspace to look on those links/ at the products that have been suggested right now. I'll have a look tomorrow though- thanks for all your help everyone, it's much appreciated.

It would be pretty impossible for me to catch at least 3 of my fish to get them into a hospital tank to use the waterlife meds, but I think I could do what humblefish suggested with the agar and the tremazol/ metro if I can get it from the link suggested above. If not I can QT them/ dip them when my new tanks cycled as I'll be able to catch them when I move the rocks over to the new tank.

Do you just soak the meds and food in agar for like half an hr or so or how does it work with agar?

VJV

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I just saw this on the Aquarium Munster website. Apparently this is a new March 2018 regulation that prevents a number of drugs to be sold without prescription...

ef9f48e09d3fa4e2dba4f934602bd303.jpg

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Copepods
Back