Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a gorilla crab in my tank. I had ordered three fish ( two clowns and a gramma), and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will the crab pose a threat to them? The fish are pre-quarantined, and I don't have the option to keep them in another tank while I get the crab out. The gorilla is only a little bigger than a quarter including legs, so I'm not sure if it'll be an issue. What should I do? Thanks!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just found a gorilla crab in my tank. I had ordered three fish ( two clowns and a gramma), and they are supposed to arrive tomorrow. Will the crab pose a threat to them? The fish are pre-quarantined, and I don't have the option to keep them in another tank while I get the crab out. The gorilla is only a little bigger than a quarter including legs, so I'm not sure if it'll be an issue. What should I do? Thanks!
As long as the fish aren’t tiny and don’t decide to sleep near it’s den, they’ll likely be ok. If you know roughly where the crab is, you could intentionally try to feed it to reduce its desire to hunt while you try to capture it. Maybe leave food in bottle near where you think it is.

World Wide Corals

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You should ABSOLUTELY quarantine. Pre-Quarantine is not to be believed.

OP
OP
Anemone_Fanatic

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the fish aren’t tiny and don’t decide to sleep near it’s den, they’ll likely be ok. If you know roughly where the crab is, you could intentionally try to feed it to reduce its desire to hunt while you try to capture it. Maybe leave food in bottle near where you think it is.
I'd prep a bottle trap and leave it overnight for the crab... That way it's crab to sump, fish to tank, everyone's happy
Should I put the trap on the rock, or on the sand? Thanks! The clowns are captive bred, so I imagine they'll be around an inch. Of course, knowing clowns, they'll probably stay high up near the overflow. It's the gramma I'm concerned about.
You should ABSOLUTELY quarantine. Pre-Quarantine is not to be believed.
Thanks for the input, doesn't really answer my question though. The fish have been in copper for a month and come from a well known vendor, so I'm not too worried about that. If I ever add a fish from a less reputable source, I'll be sure to quarantine.

World Wide Corals

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, doesn't really answer my question though. The fish have been in copper for a month and come from a well known vendor, so I'm not too worried about that. If I ever add a fish from a less reputable source, I'll be sure to quarantine.
No it didn't. Just trying to help you avoid other problems down the road.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Top Shelf Aquatics
Back