Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original plan was to put Hewbie in a 120 at my Mom’s work! But I realize that I fell in love with him over the past few weeks and am starting to realize my options are limited for fish with Hewbie as well and now I want to keep Hewbie and get him a bigger home at my house and just have him and one or two friends! And I can get a lot more fish in the 120 at my Mom’s work. Would that be so bad? I mean I did buy him.:pleading-face: Hewbie is the adorable little dude in my profile photo.

Top Shelf Aquatics

leo12345

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The original plan was to put Hewbie in a 120 at my Mom’s work! But I realize that I fell in love with him over the past few weeks and am starting to realize my options are limited for fish with Hewbie as well and now I want to keep Hewbie and get him a bigger home at my house and just have him and one or two friends! And I can get a lot more fish in the 120 at my Mom’s work. Would that be so bad? I mean I did buy him.:pleading-face: Hewbie is the adorable little dude in my profile photo.
What is a hewbie?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of fish is hewbie?
My porcupine pufferfish! The dude in my profile photo. He’s in a little tank now and originally it was quarantine but now it has sand and rock and I love him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nutramar Foods

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited by a moderator:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this plan? Move Hewbie to your mother's system at work for now? This will give Hewbie a better chance for the future instead of Hewbie being uncomfortable in the smaller system. Health wise in the larger system there will be less stress and Hewbie will be much happier. When you have the larger home system setup, cycled, bring Hewbie home?

It is going to be a hard to not have Hewbie there to see all the time in the beginning, but you are looking out for Hewbie.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about this plan? Move Hewbie to your mother's system at work for now? This will give Hewbie a better chance for the future instead of Hewbie being uncomfortable in the smaller system. Health wise in the larger system there will be less stress and Hewbie will be much happier. When you have the larger home system setup, cycled, bring Hewbie home?

It is going to be a hard to not have Hewbie there to see all the time in the beginning, but you are looking out for Hewbie.
The big tank is still cycling and fish coming soon/he would be going in last because of temper! Quarantine turned into rock and sand because he was so stressed and I didn’t treat for cooper. I estimate it to be a few more weeks as he’s going in last. The point is I could set up a tank and cycle it with established media and have him in within 2-3 weeks. But I understand fish come first.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big tank is still cycling and fish coming soon/he would be going in last because of temper! Quarantine turned into rock and sand because he was so stressed and I didn’t treat for cooper. I estimate it to be a few more weeks as he’s going in last. The point is I could set up a tank and cycle it with established media and have him in within 2-3 weeks. But I understand fish come first

So that we can understand. Your mother's work system is a newly set up system? The system that Hewbie is in now is QT or and established system?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that we can understand. Your mother's work system is a newly set up system? The system that Hewbie is in now is QT or and established system?
Correct. The tank Hewbie’s in is completely cycled at this point. The tank at my Mom’s work is still cycling with established media. I added too much fish food I think and there’s more surface area/so it’s taking longer than normal to cycle or what I call insta cycle. And the tank at my Mom’s work is around 2 weeks old.

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. The tank Hewbie’s in is completely cycled at this point. The tank at my Mom’s work is still cycling with established media. I added too much fish food I think and there’s more surface area/so it’s taking longer than normal to cycle or what I call insta cycle. And the tank at my Mom’s work is around 2 weeks old.
Thank you.

Hewbie will have a better chance of being healthy and happy, if Hewbie stays in the established system(home) for now, even though the system may be small. If your larger home tank, takes longer to setup and cycle. Let's say the home system is delayed by 3 to 6 months. Then I would suggest to move Hewbie to your mother's office system until the home system is established. Established meaning set up for at the least 3 months. All the quick cycling and moving Hewbie will not be good for Hewbie. This is going to take some time to do it right, but you can do it. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Hewbie will have a better chance of being healthy and happy, if Hewbie stays in the established system(home) for now, even though the system may be small. If your larger home tank, takes longer to setup and cycle. Let's say the home system is delayed by 3 to 6 months. Then I would suggest to move Hewbie to your mother's office system until the home system is established. Established meaning set up for at the least 3 months. All the quick cycling and moving Hewbie will not be good for Hewbie. This is going to take some time to do it right, but you can do it. :)
Very true and the less moving of Hewbie the better!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

I traded some rock for a brand new 55 gallon! Which will be Hewbie’s new home. I wanted to buy a 120 for him for like $200 but the seller hasn’t messaged me back/it sold ugh and it’s a used Red Sea tank which makes me nervous plus it’s cheap because I have to clean and disassemble it. Either way Hewbie who is only 4 inches will be happy in anything other than the little tank he’s in now! And when Hewbie grows I will figure that out. Hopefully when Hewbie gets big I’ll have my own place and can get all the big tanks I want lol.

Last edited:

jsker

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I traded some rock for a brand new 55 gallon! Which will be Hewbie’s new home. I wanted to buy a 120 for him for like $200 but the seller hasn’t messaged me back/it sold ugh and it’s a used Red Sea tank which makes me nervous plus it’s cheap because I have to clean and disassemble it. Either way Hewbie who is only 4 inches will be happy in anything other than the little tank he’s in now! And when Hewbie grows I will figure that out. Hopefully when Hewbie gets big I’ll have my own place and can get all the big tanks I want lol.
In small steps, you are reaching your goal. Also look at it this way, you might find something better than the tank that you thinking of purchasing. :)

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EyesIn small steps, you are reaching your goal. Also look at it this way, you might find something better than the tank that you thinking of purchasing. :)
I’ve been looking!
chicken looking GIF

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back