+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1672280075575.png

I don't know snail IDs very well even after 10 years in the hobby, but can anyone confirm to me what this one is? I saw it in a tank without a tag, tried to find a shell comparison online, and my scary suspicion is the only result I can find. I saw it and immediately thought cone.

Even if it is a cone, knowing which one helps too for feeding purposes as I might run back and try it.

___

This guy I actually bought, I'm able to ID it as a banded tulip snail, as he's basically my CuC for the sump. I don't intend keeping him with any other snails but might throw more inverts in there. Info on them seems scarce except giant snail killer.

1672280574777.png

EDIT: first ID a tiger sand conch bychance? Looks close to one.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly looks like some type of cone snail, and I'd stay far, far away. Who needs something that's potentially that deadly? And yes, yes, I have a fire urchin, but even that's a risk too far for me.

Won't that tulip starve unless it has a ready and large supply of snails? I'd love to have one, but wouldn't it starve unless you put it in a huge tank?

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly looks like some type of cone snail, and I'd stay far, far away. Who needs something that's potentially that deadly? And yes, yes, I have a fire urchin, but even that's a risk too far for me.

If It truely is, I'd get it for the employee's sake (did I mention this is at a PETCO? I was just looking for cheap mantis feeders..).

Idk if I have the conscious to let someone else buy it knowing what it is and what it can do. That's why I want to make sure it is what it is before I start pretending its something special.

I used to have a fire urchin too :kissing-face-with-closed-eyes:

Assuming you mean this:

1672287787798.png

Last edited:
AS
OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't that tulip starve unless it has a ready and large supply of snails? I'd love to have one, but wouldn't it starve unless you put it in a huge tank?

I hope not. It did reject the krill I tried feeding it tonight so some concern there now.

Hopefully more chime in on that, if its a harlequin shrimp scenario idk if I'd keep it longer than I have to, I'd try feeding it until I can donate it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If It truely is, I'd get it for the employee's sake (did I mention this is at a PETCO? I was just looking for cheap mantis feeders..).

Idk if I have the conscious to let someone else buy it knowing what it is and what it can do. That's why I want to make sure it is what it is before I start pretending its something special.

I used to have a fire urchin too :kissing-face-with-closed-eyes:

Assuming you mean this:

View attachment 2951416
My precioussss...
5A2F6540-085D-4069-A9E3-C8FA73AEC18F.jpeg

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, that's definitely a cone. They range in toxicity from "ow, ****" to "I need medical attention" to "I am now dead with my phone in my hand and the number '9' dialed", depending on species and individual reaction, so that's a problem. I'd suggest trying to get ahold of a manager or whatnot and pointing out the MASSIVE liability concern of selling a dangerous, potentially deadly animal to people. Not just because of this one, but because what if that supplier sends them more? People could get stung.

EDIT: nope! I forgot that there are conchs shaped like that. Never mind.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
View attachment 2951302

I don't know snail IDs very well even after 10 years in the hobby, but can anyone confirm to me what this one is? I saw it in a tank without a tag, tried to find a shell comparison online, and my scary suspicion is the only result I can find. I saw it and immediately thought cone.

Even if it is a cone, knowing which one helps too for feeding purposes as I might run back and try it.

___

This guy I actually bought, I'm able to ID it as a banded tulip snail, as he's basically my CuC for the sump. I don't intend keeping him with any other snails but might throw more inverts in there. Info on them seems scarce except giant snail killer.

View attachment 2951303

EDIT: first ID a tiger sand conch bychance? Looks close to one.
First one is a tiger sand conch or also known as strawberry conch. Sand sifter and algae eater. Second one is a welk https://www.melevsreef.com/articles/whelk-versus-nassarius and unwanted in most tanks.

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't think Petco would be sourcing venomous snails, despite their ineptitude when it comes to actual salt water aquariums. Look for the snout pattern per the article I posted. I'm sure it is a mundane species of snail.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would make more sense than some wildly unfortunate collector managing to pick up cone snails, wouldn't it. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if that can happen, though; I've heard of all sorts of things coming in mislabeled. There are a few species of freshwater fish that only exist in the hobby due to accidentally being imported in shipments of other things.
(I'll see if I can edit my post.)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would make more sense than some wildly unfortunate collector managing to pick up cone snails, wouldn't it. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if that can happen, though; I've heard of all sorts of things coming in mislabeled. There are a few species of freshwater fish that only exist in the hobby due to accidentally being imported in shipments of other things.
(I'll see if I can edit my post.)
I agree that things definitely come in mislabeled, but that would be a business shuttering lawsuit if Petco was sourcing dangerous animals and non chalant just selling them to unsuspecting hobbyists and/or children.

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure on snail #2 being a whelk. Looks like Cinctura hunteria, even has the black body with white speckles on it, with a pick/orangish foot.

1672293195670.png

I just don't know much about them, even researching the species very little info bar 'eats mollusk' exist. Petco doesn't even list tulips on their own website but they did tag it as one and it checks out.

#1 not being a cone would be a huge relief. I wouldn't be surprised if a miss-ID occurred at a petco which is why I wanted to be sure.

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Kasrift

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, you are more correct. Not a welk. Looking at the foot and a Google search later, I think it is a banded tulip snail https://gulfspecimen.org/banded-tulip-snail/. Collection in the gulf which lot of CuC come from makes sense. Still looks like it eats other snails and bivalves.

OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the tulip is completely ignoring food offerings, I tried to coax it out with mysis like I do for my nassarius snails, and I tried target feeding it pieces of krill twice with no reactions.

Might pick up some cheap snails just to buy more time with it and see what else it fancies.

I don't know if its venomous either. trying to find that info just mentions them next to cone snails.

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Stomatopods17

Stomatopods17

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried feeding it an astrea snail.

It took 1 hour for it to acknowledge the food, and then capture it.
1672452285492.png

it turns the snail so that the entrances meet, assuming all is good (for the tulip), I look away to post about it and then see this:

1672452334569.png

Is my tulip snail just defective? lol

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back