Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Jebao DCT 4000 on a 90 gallon. I also run an Aquaclear 70 and a Cascade 1500. Those two are around 600 gph together. The Jebao is running on about 6 feet of tubing and two 90 degree elbows. I run it on the third setting only. Do I have enough flow with this equipment? I can crank the Jebao up. I don't think its a lot gph on high even because of the hose length and 90 degree turns. Maybe only 300 gph on high. But water gets chaotic in the refugium on high. I have chaeto and it looks very turbulent. I don't how many gph with it on setting 3. Just relucant to put more gph in it. Don't want to mess with the fish.

CLICK TO VIEW

LordofCinder

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aquaclear is a hob filter? I would not include that in the flow calculation. Flow means pushing water forward through the rocks, not falling down into the the tank. I don't know what a cascade is, but same concept, I don't like to include filters in gph calculation.

IMO minimum water flow is about 15x-20x turnoever, my tanks run at about 50x turnover. Take your take gallon size and multiply by 20, thats the gph you should have in your tank, again, minimum.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The aquaclears both do 500 gph. My return pump is doing 500-600. I don't have corals. You do have to count the flow. I tried to use a Maxspect in conjunction with the filters and my Anemones had to hide. I couldn't use the Gyre because the powe filters create to much disturbance for the anemones with the Gyre running also. Local pet store said 10x is okay. That I can count the Power filters. They are turning over the water. That is on my 120. My 900 has 350 from the Aquaclear, 350 from the Cascade and I don't know what the return pump is doing. No corals. Afraid the flow is too much for my little grouper if I turn the return on the 90 up all the way. Even though its probably only 200-300 gph on full blast. Had trouble with flukes in this same type grouper before. Afraid the flow might put them in the water column more.

AS
OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the aquaclear is a hob filter? I would not include that in the flow calculation. Flow means pushing water forward through the rocks, not falling down into the the tank. I don't know what a cascade is, but same concept, I don't like to include filters in gph calculation.

IMO minimum water flow is about 15x-20x turnoever, my tanks run at about 50x turnover. Take your take gallon size and multiply by 20, thats the gph you should have in your tank, again, minimum.
Can I ask why you don't count the filtration as flow? It seems I used to go by that too. Problem I found is that when you have two 500 gph hob filters and 400 gph of return flow that when you try to run a Maxpect gyre it crashes into to all of that return flow. So wether counting it or not its a factor in the water. Still want to know why you don't. Because I heard that too once.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask why you don't count the filtration as flow? It seems I used to go by that too. Problem I found is that when you have two 500 gph hob filters and 400 gph of return flow that when you try to run a Maxpect gyre it crashes into to all of that return flow. So wether counting it or not its a factor in the water. Still want to know why you don't. Because I heard that too once.
In addittion to 51years in the hobby, as a Marine Engineer from Texas Maritime Academy, I am very familiar with Fluid Mechanics. You are correct in your observations.

Subsea

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Jebao DCT 4000 on a 90 gallon. I also run an Aquaclear 70 and a Cascade 1500. Those two are around 600 gph together. The Jebao is running on about 6 feet of tubing and two 90 degree elbows. I run it on the third setting only. Do I have enough flow with this equipment? I can crank the Jebao up. I don't think its a lot gph on high even because of the hose length and 90 degree turns. Maybe only 300 gph on high. But water gets chaotic in the refugium on high. I have chaeto and it looks very turbulent. I don't how many gph with it on setting 3. Just relucant to put more gph in it. Don't want to mess with the fish.

Trust your observation of live stock in tank. Live stock in tank determines energy required for optimum conditions. Energy means current velocity & light intensity.

Note mushrooms & ricordia in low light low flow next to Red Tree Sponge who prefers more flow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 4
Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back