Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased two Firefish from my local shop. I am unsure if they are a mated pair - from what I have noticed thus far (they have been in the tank for about a day or so) they are very shy, which I expected, and have been slightly aggressive toward one another. However, the back of my tank is an open area and a good ¨bolt-spot¨, and the two have been hovering there.

I am under the impression that Firefish are relatively docile but are very good at killing one another. Do I just cross my fingers and pray they become buddies? Is this aggravated behavior normal for new fish?

This is my first marine tank and I am curious about what other Firefish keepers feed their Firefish as well.

Thank you.

Last edited:
BRS

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, 10 gallons is too small for two firefish that aren't a pair. Unless they are actually a m/f pair, the aggression will only get worse as the fish get settled. In which case, you're likely going to have to remove one or you risk losing the weaker of the two.

As for feeding, firefish aren't picky eaters, so a mix of frozen & dry (micro pellets & flake) should be good. Even for reliable eaters, I like to have several different kinds of foods that I rotate feeding.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Reef Diaper
Back