Turn a macro-tank into a refugium/sump??

AI Nero 5

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm having ideas that I would love some feedback on.

When I started this hobby I decided to start cheap and go for a freshwater system and upgrade from there. So it's a 110 gallon running on a FX6 canister filter. Now though I realize I want a far better refugium and also want to stop stuffing everything in the display making it ugly.
IMG_5006.jpeg

I also have a scratched and beat up 45 gallon which only has macroalgae and a ridiculous population of pods in it at the moment.
IMG_4982.jpeg

So here's my current thinking:
  1. Move the 45 to the right of and below the reef
  2. Use a HOB overflow to flow from the 110 to the 45
  3. Attach the canister so it pulls from the 45 into the 110
  4. Move the skimmer and heater over and of course ditch the plant box in the 110
So my questions:
  • Will this work?
  • What sort of HOB overflow box should I get? (FX6 pumps rated at 925gal/h at 0 head height)
  • Any other considerations?
  • Any better ideas?
Thanks for any help

Top Shelf Aquatics

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd replace the canister with a pump, easier to maintain. The reason people don't tend to use canisters in saltwater isn't because they're bad filters it's because they usually degrade in performance due to the extreme buildup of minerals and biofouling that happens in saltwater (especially reef) tanks.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd replace the canister with a pump, easier to maintain. The reason people don't tend to use canisters in saltwater isn't because they're bad filters it's because they usually degrade in performance due to the extreme buildup of minerals and biofouling that happens in saltwater (especially reef) tanks.
Thanks
I had thought of that but my worry is hooking up mechanical filtration and also worried any pump would be damaged or clogged in there?

Top Shelf Aquatics

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I had thought of that but my worry is hooking up mechanical filtration and also worried any pump would be damaged or clogged in there?
Not sure how your overflow works but if you wanted like a filter sock or something I would think that could somehow go between the overflow and the macro tank?

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm having ideas that I would love some feedback on.

When I started this hobby I decided to start cheap and go for a freshwater system and upgrade from there. So it's a 110 gallon running on a FX6 canister filter. Now though I realize I want a far better refugium and also want to stop stuffing everything in the display making it ugly. View attachment 2900570
I also have a scratched and beat up 45 gallon which only has macroalgae and a ridiculous population of pods in it at the moment.
View attachment 2900561

So here's my current thinking:
  1. Move the 45 to the right of and below the reef
  2. Use a HOB overflow to flow from the 110 to the 45
  3. Attach the canister so it pulls from the 45 into the 110
  4. Move the skimmer and heater over and of course ditch the plant box in the 110
So my questions:
  • Will this work?
  • What sort of HOB overflow box should I get? (FX6 pumps rated at 925gal/h at 0 head height)
  • Any other considerations?
  • Any better ideas?
Thanks for any help
It could work, the fx6, if you're on a budget or just don't want to buy more equipment. It's not really any different It's a pump that pumps water. You might have to turn down the return on the fx6 though if don't size the overflow properly. Flow might vary as the canister dirties up, same as now.

You can easily place your return pump on top of something off the substrate too if you went that route. You could plumb the overflow to where it would drain into a filter sock like already stated. Leaving your fx6 on your main tank. Or no filter sock and just treat it like part of the main display.

Personally I would go the second route, a small return pump 300-500gph. I might try without a filter sock first, but be sure to plan ahead if I decided to add one. They make small brackets that attack to the side of the tank for filter socks. Leave the fx6 where it is if it's working for you.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work, the fx6, if you're on a budget or just don't want to buy more equipment. It's not really any different It's a pump that pumps water. You might have to turn down the return on the fx6 though if don't size the overflow properly. Flow might vary as the canister dirties up, same as now.

You can easily place your return pump on top of something off the substrate too if you went that route. You could plumb the overflow to where it would drain into a filter sock like already stated. Leaving your fx6 on your main tank. Or no filter sock and just treat it like part of the main display.

Personally I would go the second route, a small return pump 300-500gph. I might try without a filter sock first, but be sure to plan ahead if I decided to add one. They make small brackets that attack to the side of the tank for filter socks. Leave the fx6 where it is if it's working for you.
Thanks for answering!

I did actually already go through with my plan and it works. Though I made quite the run of dumb mistakes doing it. (Most notably not realizing the return had to be at the top of the tank to prevent syphoning out half the tank when the pump turns off.) Your advice of turning down the return flow was also necessary and did take me a while to realize.

I may of course upgrade as the canister is such a pain to clean so I'm glad I got your comment to look back at.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5050.jpeg
    IMG_5050.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5116.jpeg
    IMG_5116.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 14
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

stoney7713

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for answering!

I did actually already go through with my plan and it works. Though I made quite the run of dumb mistakes doing it. (Most notably not realizing the return had to be at the top of the tank to prevent syphoning out half the tank when the pump turns off.) Your advice of turning down the return flow was also necessary and did take me a while to realize.

I may of course upgrade as the canister is such a pain to clean so I'm glad I got your comment to look back at.
Thanks.
Glad to hear you got it figured out, yeah the siphon effect is real. I thought about it but forgot to mention it. The extra water volume is definitely nice. Plus that refugium should be large enough to help with nutrient export, nitrates, phosphates. And it just is cool to have.

I'm thinking about doing similar, a display refugium.

A small return pump with suction cups is also an option, I just hate suction cups....lol

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Tropic Marin USA
Back