Turbo snails keep dying, can i save this one?

dach

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for some reason turbo snails just don’t last in my tank. I had a Mexican turbo snail for 6-8 months and it recently stopped moving and died. I was supplementing it’s tank algae with seaweed. I replaced it with a zebra turbo about the same size and it died after a few days. I thought this may have been an acclimation issue, less so on the drip acclimation and more on the fact that it was so stuck to the container that i couldn’t get it out for a bit.

A few weeks ago i bought 3 astrea snails and an orange shelled turbo. The astreas seem to be doing just fine, and the turbo was as well, until i found it upside down this morning. This to me has usually spelled the downfall of my snails. If i ever find them upside down, even if i flip them over, they never seem to live. This turbo snail is struggling. Here is a video of how he’s acting.
Video
i have other invertebrates in the tank and lots of corals and they are all doing great. I have 3-4 nassarius snails, a cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and a pistol shrimp.

Is there something with my tank that is incompatible with turbos? Maybe the algae is nutritionally poor in my tank?

I tested copper just in case and it was 0.10 on the Hanna high range checker, but i think this is a false positive as it is not in the optimal range for the Hanna checker. Other Params are in check, with my my KH a little on the low side of 7-8dkh. Salinity is 1.026 and i use a ato to keep it stable.

Corals.com

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails get flipped over by the fish and then they are eaten. Same with crabs(hermit). I don’t know what fish does this but I do have a harlequin tusk, a few tangs and a damsel and clownfish so I have to replace snails often until they get bigger and can resist the call for lunch.
It’s interesting that you only lose turbo snails. If you had a copper or other toxic issue that would probably also impact the other snails and inverts.

As far as acclimation I had more trouble with fish and invertebrates when I used to “acclimate” and those problems stopped when I only temp acclimate and “dump” livestock now.

Rick's Reviews

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think sometimes snails are not so comfortable with 'change' I have had snails die also from indroducing a year ago. after a normal water change which I do everything the same every 2 weeks, everything is exactly the same fortnightly in my routine but recently seen snails die (they close the lid on shell then never appear again)
They are never eaten either by invertebrate?
In my head I'm thinking next water change I will mix salt/ensure salt is thoroughly dissolved before adding as this is possibly the reason

AquaCave Logo Banner

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican Turbo‘s are a Cold Water Snail. They will sometimes survive over the Winter, if your heater is not set too high. Then they are Cooked during the Summer. Ever been to L. A. or San Diego? The Pacific Ocean Water is Cold, even in July, unless there is an unusual off coast Current Flow.

Stupidkitty84

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My snails get flipped over by the fish and then they are eaten. Same with crabs(hermit). I don’t know what fish does this but I do have a harlequin tusk, a few tangs and a damsel and clownfish so I have to replace snails often until they get bigger and can resist the call for lunch.
It’s interesting that you only lose turbo snails. If you had a copper or other toxic issue that would probably also impact the other snails and inverts.

As far as acclimation I had more trouble with fish and invertebrates when I used to “acclimate” and those problems stopped when I only temp acclimate and “dump” livestock now.
Reefcleaners.org also says to do the same as what you do for acclimation. They say to temp acclimate only then dump in. If you acclimate salinity (or just with your tank water in general) the pH of your tank water when added to the shipping water turns the shipping water toxic with ammonia. They don't carry fish but I bet that same principle applies to acclimating fish too.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back