+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Building a new system and one of the items I purchased was a Tunze Wavebox 6208. I have a quick question, this is brand new from BRS. It smells like the worst thing you can imagine. It almost knocked me down when I opened the box.

I'm wondering if it's not some kind of Grease they use or what? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Think of burning tires, sulfur, mixed with a dead skunk. Not even joking. 20221014_171755.jpg

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspect the contents for hitchhikers and remove anything that may have died in transit. It’s odd because these are normally shipped dry? I would start it in a bucket with a little baking soda added to fresh water and watch for any obvious pollution.

OP
OP
Hurricane Aquatics

Hurricane Aquatics

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inspect the contents for hitchhikers and remove anything that may have died in transit. It’s odd because these are normally shipped dry? I would start it in a bucket with a little baking soda added to fresh water and watch for any obvious pollution.
Hey Kris,

No, nothing like that. It's brand new, but smells strong and like a skunk. Might post in yhe BRS forum and see if that's normal m. I don't want to install in my tank like that.

Nutramar Foods

KrisReef

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kris,

No, nothing like that. It's brand new, but smells strong and like a skunk. Might post in yhe BRS forum and see if that's normal m. I don't want to install in my tank like that.
I’m thinking that it might have been shipped in a mixed load of freight and cattle so that the box was exposed / contaminated so that the wave maker is unpleasant to smell.
If they used vegetable based lubricant in assembling it, or if the motor is sealed with lubricant inside the bearings or pump housing assembly may be cracked or leaking rotten oil?
Washing in freshwater could reveal cracks or leaking seals.
Should not smell like anything that you described if it is not damaged and leaking.
If the cardboard box is the source the baptism should not show leaking or sheen from the pump and assembly. Any sheen or bubbles or leaks in the water don’t belong in the reef tank.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back