Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m doing some maintenance today and I was moving my chalice when I noticed this growth on it. I’ve seen these guys on a rock I have in my sump that has fan worms on it so I figured they were baby worms until I saw them on the skeleton of my chalice. One was heavily infested while the others had only a few on them. I tried searching and couldn’t get anything on it so uploading them here.
They’re soft and scrape off pretty easily and I scraped them off the few corals I have in the sand but will need a more thorough cleaning. I figured if it’s on the Skelton than they can’t be good for the coral. I haven’t seen any damage to the chalice and it extends every night as well. I also dipped all my corals so not sure where it could have came from unless it survived the dip. Also there’s no movement from them when I was scrapping them off or touching.

348FC5E7-E75D-4287-BEF0-D3529DE6ADA1.jpeg 7CA0EAF4-E8DE-482C-B5C2-06954F2DF97A.jpeg 5183EFF3-5F12-4576-AACD-DD5F5367C622.jpeg 0AE43F26-3338-462F-B8BD-B108121BBE44.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Appears to be sponge. While you have frag out, you can scrape it off with a paring knife and rinse in a cup of tank water and return coral to the tank

Blenny1988

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard a few conflicting stories about sponges and have a good amount of them in my tank some people say there harmless and are a good indication of a healthy system and others say that they can leak toxins in to your system and tbh i dont know what is right lol could someone help to clarify this please??

Thanks in advance guys :cool:

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard a few conflicting stories about sponges and have a good amount of them in my tank some people say there harmless and are a good indication of a healthy system and others say that they can leak toxins in to your system and tbh i dont know what is right lol could someone help to clarify this please??

Thanks in advance guys :cool:
Healthy system? My tank has been up since feb and was just battling a Dino issue from having too clean of a tank. They did seem to flourish at that point however so maybe my tank matured rather quickly?

CWoods

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy system? My tank has been up since feb and was just battling a Dino issue from having too clean of a tank. They did seem to flourish at that point however so maybe my tank matured rather quickly?
They look like pineapple sponges to me. Harmless but sometimes can upset certain corals. I had thousands of them about a year ago and now I can't find a single one.

Avast

CWoods

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any natural way of getting rid of them?
Not that I know of. In every tank I've had them in their population explodes then collapses. I just picked them off if they were bothering a coral and left the ones growing else where. They filter the water column so they never bothered me

OP
OP
musaabi

musaabi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can be a nuisance then. I shall keep a close eye on my corals and be prepared to pick off a few if needs be lol thanks for the info guys :) also out of interest what salt mix dose everyone use?
I’m using tropic marine pro

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back