Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been restarting the reef after a crash last year. I added some zoa's to the tank a few days back and they disappeared overnight totally. I suspect the hippo tang (the other inhabitants are a sail fin tang, yellow tang, dottyback, 2 x clowns, an old damsel from when I first started).

It is well fed 3 pellet feedings, a cube of mysis, and a sheet of nori a day. Is there a way to stop the behaviour or do I need to get rid? I don't want to waste cash putting in zoa just to have them eaten!

Top Shelf Aquatics

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been restarting the reef after a crash last year. I added some zoa's to the tank a few days back and they disappeared overnight totally. I suspect the hippo tang (the other inhabitants are a sail fin tang, yellow tang, dottyback, 2 x clowns, an old damsel from when I first started).

It is well fed 3 pellet feedings, a cube of mysis, and a sheet of nori a day. Is there a way to stop the behaviour or do I need to get rid? I don't want to waste cash putting in zoa just to have them eaten!
Mine does/did (because I have few left!) exactly the same Joe. Went Zoa feasting one day out of the blue and developed a taste for them and he’s very well fed.

I’ve had him since very young so I couldn’t part with him now (or catch him anyway!) so I just sat back and tried not to fret to much about my prized zoa colonies being devoured!

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Jim Fox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took out a softball size colony of Purple People Eater zoas. I started the colony with a quarter size frag and it took her about 3 days to take them out. Like others have said, she's very well fed, so no idea why she did that. So frustrating!

Nutramar Foods

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to stop this kind of behavior once it gest established. Hippo is 'unique' in the tang world in that it is a planktivore rather than herbivore - though it will certainly eat nori if offered. You could try to increase the meaty foods you offer and see if that makes a difference.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you are feeding the Hippo exactly....

Mine I feed strictly meaty stuff, chopped mussels mainly. Mine's addicted to mussels and goes nuts for it. Other flake food thats more veggie based its less excited.

World Wide Corals

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I ready, once they get a taste for it they never stop. Sadly blue hippos are prone to it. This is the only reason I never purchased a hippo, beautiful fish with great personalities.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back