+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy ,
I wanted to know the difference between using Tropic Marine ABC balling method for Alk./ Calc. in comparison to using baking soda and Dow flake Calcium Chloride ? Both supplemented by Kalkwasser

Thanks

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Original Balling Part B is a mix of baking soda and soda ash for better solubility. Part C is sodium chloride free sea salt to balance the addition of chloride and sodium with Parts A and B to form complete Pro-Reef salt with all minor and trace elements.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy ,
I wanted to know the difference between using Tropic Marine ABC balling method for Alk./ Calc. in comparison to using baking soda and Dow flake Calcium Chloride ? Both supplemented by Kalkwasser

Thanks

Expanding on Hans-Werners comments, the A and B parts of the Balling Method are similar to the baking soda and Dowflake. Part C of Balling can be used with both methods equally well, and I recommend doing so.

Here's a copy and paste from a thread yesterday:

You SHOULD use Balling Part C with any simple combination of sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide and calcium chloride. The Part C keeps the added sodium and chloride (and the subsequent need to reduce salinity over time) from altering the concentrations of those other elements (magnesium, sulfate, potassium, bromide, etc.).

What is does not do, and is the wrong composition for, is offset any consumption of things like iron, manganese, etc. Those are what you need a trace element supplement such as A and K for.

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expanding on Hans-Werners comments, the A and B parts of the Balling Method are similar to the baking soda and Dowflake. Part C of Balling can be used with both methods equally well, and I recommend doing so.

Here's a copy and paste from a thread yesterday:

You SHOULD use Balling Part C with any simple combination of sodium bicarbonate/carbonate/hydroxide and calcium chloride. The Part C keeps the added sodium and chloride (and the subsequent need to reduce salinity over time) from altering the concentrations of those other elements (magnesium, sulfate, potassium, bromide, etc.).

What is does not do, and is the wrong composition for, is offset any consumption of things like iron, manganese, etc. Those are what you need a trace element supplement such as A and K for.
Thank you i appreciate it greatly

OP
OP
BOWHUNTER4250

BOWHUNTER4250

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Original Balling Part B is a mix of baking soda and soda ash for better solubility. Part C is sodium chloride free sea salt to balance the addition of chloride and sodium with Parts A and B to form complete Pro-Reef salt with all minor and trace elements.
Thank you sir ! much appreciated

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back