Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using one of them handheld refractometers that you hold up to the light to get the reading - it was recommended that I'd get a hydrometer as well to cross reference. I don't know if this is necessary a good idea as both instruments I think would report a different number anyways, and I'd be chasing a number that I don't know which is the real/most accurate one.

Curious what others here think - some I know swear by Milwaukee meters, but it's on the pricey end for me.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer is a great reference tool. The benefit of a Hydrometer is that it does not need to be calibrated. The reading should always be consistent over it's lifetime. The down sides are that they are fragile and you need a separate vessel to take your measurement in.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tropic Marin High Precision Hydrometer is a great reference tool. The benefit of a Hydrometer is that it does not need to be calibrated. The reading should always be consistent over it's lifetime. The down sides are that they are fragile and you need a separate vessel to take your measurement in.
Hmm, unless at the factory the hydrometer wasn't properly calibrated - it's a sealed unit, so the hope is that Tropic Marin has really nailed down the calibration process in such of their product.

tkong

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get the Milwaukee. Worth the money for convenience. Started with a refractometer and TM hydrometer. And recently got the Milwaukee. Wish I had just forked the money in the beginning.

Top Shelf Aquatics

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500 ml graduated cylinder to measure in with 450 ml of tank water.

Make 450 ml of Randy's diy calibration solution 1.0264 Standard 17.3 grams Morton Table Salt and 450 ml RODI to verify the hydrometer.

Use a correction calculator if water is not at 77° F

trevorhiller

Reef
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have the Tropic Marin one, but I have a bunch of other common devices.

I really like my VeeGee STX 3 refractometer so far. I have way too many gadgets to check salinity and this one is the quickest and easiest to use. I use it is as my "master" reference. The milwaukee is my least favorite, it's not very accurate or precise and it's big and bulky.

I do like the Hanna pen now that I figured out how to make bulk reference solution for cheap and don't have to worry about buying calibration packets all the time.

The VeeGee tested closest to my ICP test I just did for what that's worth...

If you're interested, VeeGees are also on sale at Amazon right now for a good price.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the Tropic Marin one, but I have a bunch of other common devices.

I really like my VeeGee STX 3 refractometer so far. I have way too many gadgets to check salinity and this one is the quickest and easiest to use. I use it is as my "master" reference. The milwaukee is my least favorite, it's not very accurate or precise and it's big and bulky.

I do like the Hanna pen now that I figured out how to make bulk reference solution for cheap and don't have to worry about buying calibration packets all the time.

The VeeGee tested closest to my ICP test I just did for what that's worth...

If you're interested, VeeGees are also on sale at Amazon right now for a good price.
Thanks - I just checked the VeeGee STX 3 - it definitely surpasses the price point of the lower cost refractometers out there. I'm wondering if paying more for one will give any more accurate reading that another refractometer - do you have another refractometer of similiar to compare against, and if so, what were the results?

Thanks

Nutramar Foods

trevorhiller

Reef
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks - I just checked the VeeGee STX 3 - it definitely surpasses the price point of the lower cost refractometers out there. I'm wondering if paying more for one will give any more accurate reading that another refractometer - do you have another refractometer of similiar to compare against, and if so, what were the results?

Thanks
Yes it definitely is more quality. They are likely both accurate, but this will hold calibration much better IMO. I haven't had to adjust mine since buying it and I've heard of others having it for years without recalibrating.

It also is the only refractometer that I know of designed to calibrate w/RODI water rather than calibration solution which makes quickly calibrating before every use super convenient and easy.

The key with any of them is to calibrate it before every use (ideally). That's how you know it's giving you accurate results.

My cheap Amazon refractomer burned me once by coming off calibration by 2 points. Luckily it wasn't more, but I had just calibrated the time before. I don't use that one anymore - they are cheaply made in China and not for serious hobbyists IMO.

Salinity is probably the most important parameter as it effects everything in the tank, yet we recommend people use a $15 chinese device to test it. That seemed silly to me so the $77 for the VeeGee is well worth it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Reef Diaper
Back