Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys. Just recently started dosing since I finally have enough corals to noticeably decrease my alkalinity on a day-to-day basis. Started with 2 part and then switched to AFR. Was dosing by hand initially, but then decided to setup a dosing pump. There seems to be hard crystals forming in the tube that causes blockages impeding the flow. Does anyone have any experience with this? What did you do to resolve it? I’ve changed the tubing twice now with the same results.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Daniel

Review score
+4 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+4 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't experienced crystallization on my AFR on my dosing system. How often are you dosing and where is the crystallization happening?

Two things to try to reduce crystallization - assuming the crystallization you're seeing is on the output going into the tank/sump:
(1) increase dosing frequency and appropriately adjusting dosing volume. For example, instead of dosing 10 mL once in the day, break it up into 5 doses of 2 mL. In theory, it should enable the line to pass the fluid on an increased frequency to prevent crystallization.
(2) have your auto-top off "spray" into your output on dosing line, this enables freshwater to pass over the line and possibly wash away any crystallization forming on the output

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't experienced crystallization on my AFR on my dosing system. How often are you dosing and where is the crystallization happening?

Two things to try to reduce crystallization - assuming the crystallization you're seeing is on the output going into the tank/sump:
(1) increase dosing frequency and appropriately adjusting dosing volume. For example, instead of dosing 10 mL once in the day, break it up into 5 doses of 2 mL. In theory, it should enable the line to pass the fluid on an increased frequency to prevent crystallization.
(2) have your auto-top off "spray" into your output on dosing line, this enables freshwater to pass over the line and possibly wash away any crystallization forming on the output
It’s occurring in the output line. It’s hard to see but here are 2 pictures.

Right now I’m dosing 6ml/day split into 2 3ml. I guess I could try 2/2/2.

Attachments

• IMG_1152.jpeg
    IMG_1152.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1151.jpeg
    IMG_1151.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 44
Top Shelf Aquatics

iamacat

Higher than my pH
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running AFR for 2.5y and have never had a clog. Some build up around the output into the sump, but never clogged. To resolve the build up I scheduled my DOS to run across 24hrs so that there was regular flow. I have not had any build up since doing that years ago. That’s 18mL a day

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running AFR for 2.5y and have never had a clog. Some build up around the output into the sump, but never clogged. To resolve the build up I scheduled my DOS to run across 24hrs so that there was regular flow. I have not had any build up since doing that years ago. That’s 18mL a day
I hear you. It’s strange. I don’t know if it’s reacting with a chemical that might have been present on the inner surface of the tubing or what.

I say this because I did notice some coagulation when I was dosing by hand and use a measuring container that wasn’t the cleanest. There was some residue that looked like a crystal jelly remaining. In the case of my dosing tube, it fully hardens in there.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

fodsod

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not experienced this issue dosing AFR either. I do dose 24 times a day so the fluid is moving every hour. Maybe try a different type of tubing on your out bound side. Perhaps something in the AFR is interacting with your tubing causing the crystals to form?

Other than that I'd think either it's not mixed completely (doubtful) or you have an air leak on the outbound side and the air exposure is causing the crusting like you'd see at the end of the out bound tubing that empties into your sump.

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dilute 1:1 with water and double the dose. Increases resolution and removes the stalagtites.
Have you had something similar happen to you? Or just posing a possible solution?

I did think of trying this, but had no experience diluting AFR. This is my first bottle and it’s the pre-mixed version.

AquaCave Logo Banner

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had something similar happen to you? Or just posing a possible solution?

I did think of trying this, but had no experience diluting AFR. This is my first bottle and it’s the pre-mixed version.
Had to do it with pretty much every 2 part/alk additive. Only downside is reservoir has to be filled twice as much but it’s not like tank ever goes that long without me having to do something.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there was residual alk part of an old two part in the tubing, that will cause precipitation.

justinkdenny

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is what I do. Seems to work well but I periodically check the outlet of the tubing to make sure its still flowing smoothly.

CLICK TO VIEW

Pod_01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips and tricks guys. I'm gonna replace the tubing and do a 1:1 dilution, double my dose and spread it out as much as practical. Wish me luck.
According to the AFT creator dilution might not be the best solution:

Thank you for your question.

All-For-Reef is only stable in the full concentration, diluted fungi and bacteria may grow in the solution. The high concentration may cause problems with clogging the dosing line.

We recommend to let the dosing line end directly at the the water line. This takes away drops of AFR and avoids evaporation and clogging.

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the AFT creator dilution might not be the best solution:
This is very helpful. Wouldn't want to ruin the solution. Do you think that they mean directly above or below the waterline? I know it says "at" but I'm trying to surmise whether slightly below makes sense since it wont let air in and would seem to be best for avoiding "drops"

The_Paradox

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s in a sealed bottle. Never seen it grow mold and here in FL of it can grow mold it will. Just be aware if you submerge the dosing line it’s going to back dilute at best. At worst if your dosing head fails depending on where the reservoirs are you’re going to dump it all.

Pod_01

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very helpful. Wouldn't want to ruin the solution. Do you think that they mean directly above or below the waterline? I know it says "at" but I'm trying to surmise whether slightly below makes sense since it wont let air in and would seem to be best for avoiding "drops"
Good question mine is below….

Let’s see perhaps @Hans-Werner can clarify.

Top Shelf Aquatics

salg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s occurring in the output line. It’s hard to see but here are 2 pictures.

Right now I’m dosing 6ml/day split into 2 3ml. I guess I could try 2/2/2.
It seems that there is air in the line. Check for air suction leaks anywhere before the dosing pump. Like going into the container.

OP
OP
Adrian Em

Adrian Em

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that there is air in the line. Check for air suction leaks anywhere before the dosing pump. Like going into the container.
It does appear that way. I think its a result of the solution "crystalizing" in the tube. I've been searching all day and it appears that this is quite common despite some never having an issue after years of use. Quite strange. If I cant solve this in the next week or so, I think I'm going to go back to hand dosing and consider my options.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
RC
Back