Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added two Trochus Snail to my tank a couple weeks ago. They've helped clean up the algae that was starting, but I noticed that they also are belching/expelling fine white particles that then float and hang in the water column.

I read another thread where someone's Trochus was broadcasting sperm & eggs and it was milky. This is not that, it's very small intermittent particles and it has been consistent.

I assume this is part of their normal filtering and excreting process right? Should I be concerned at all?

If this is normal, what can I do to get better water clarity and remove the snail excretions?

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
typical poop

Top Shelf Aquatics

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, filter floss for mechanical filtration, bio balls for biological.

No skimmer as my tank is 20 gallon AIO. I'm also not running carbon yet - are there downsides to carbon?
IMO , There's downsides to all media that removes x,y,z because they don't usually only remove x,y,z sometimes they will also remove a,b,c,d along with x,y,z (letters are just made up examples of possible unknowns being removed or altered)

the medias are definitely useful if used correctly and when needed.

OP
OP
FreshCoastReef

FreshCoastReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO , There's downsides to all media that removes x,y,z because they don't usually only remove x,y,z sometimes they will also remove a,b,c,d along with x,y,z (letters are just made up examples of possible unknowns being removed or altered)

the medias are definitely useful if used correctly and when needed.
@thatmanMIKEson yeah I figured as much re: media. I'm still earning about that realm right now. Do you have experience with carbon specifically? If I added it what else is it likely to remove? :thinking-face:

Avast

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@thatmanMIKEson yeah I figured as much re: media. I'm still earning about that realm right now. Do you have experience with carbon specifically? If I added it what else is it likely to remove? :thinking-face:
I use to run GAC allot but now almost never, except after fragging or if there's some coral warfare going on or some reason I believe I need to "clean" the water I will run it very low flow thru a reactor for a day or two no longer than that, I feel like GAC does such a good job in a reactor it could easily be over done, but a bag hanging in a sump is probably much different, a hob is close to the same as a reactor imo they can get good flow thru the GAC and work extremely well.

I can't say what else it is likely to remove because I don't know ,but I do know they use it in almost every water treatment facility and water purification filter so it must take a few things out, in my r.o unit it destroys 1000's of gallons of chlorines and odors idk how but it must work really good if it works that good there's a chance it's doing a similar job in my reef tank, so now I dont hardly use GAC and if anything I believe I have been doing better with out it.

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 - by the way, your Wisco > Florida sounds like a pretty sweet split, best of both worlds!
Actually moving from WI to Florida. My plan is to do this in several weeks BUT my employer is BEGGING/Bribing me to stay a little longer.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually moving from WI to Florida. My plan is to do this in several weeks BUT my employer is BEGGING/Bribing me to stay a little longer.
..............:/ I'm in Fla, its nice but o' man is it hot right now!

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
..............:/ I'm in Fla, its nice but o' man is it hot right now!
Yep- I was invited on two snorkel trips this weekend and was told high 80's and hogh humidity. At least storms took a pause

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dr. Reefs Quarantined Fish
Back