Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a male and female blue throat triggerfish and occasionally notice white marks on them. I've seen it before, and in the past, I've simply assumed they are scrapes because they heal in a matter of day(s), are only on the triggers, and they do not behave unusually--no scratching or erratic swimming. There are no serious signs of aggression between them aside from an occasional chase, and no other fish harass them.

I found them rather worse today than usual. Anyone think this is something I should be more worried about? E.g., does it look like a disease?

Also, I will be moving them all to a new setup in the next few weeks. I suspect someone has already written a good resource about this, so links are appreciated, but is there a process or dip I should use to prevent (or at least minimize) possible hitchhiking diseases from getting transferred to the new setup?

They're in a 125 G FOWLR. Tankmates are a dwarf fuzzy lion, snowflake eel, couple clownfish, marine betta, lineatus rabbitfish, some BTAs and small cleanup crew and a longspine urchin. All happy and healthy. Parameters are stable, system is about 4 years old, nitrates are stable but a little high at ~20ppm. No other history that I am aware of of disease.

IMG_2449.jpg IMG_2450.jpg IMG_2452.jpg IMG_2442.jpg IMG_2443.jpg IMG_2444.jpg IMG_2445.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first read - without seeing the pictures - I thought 'aggression' - And that still may be the case. The concentration of 'lesions' on the top of the head of the one fish makes me think of other things = I'm going to ask @Jay Hemdal before making mention

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi all, I have a male and female blue throat triggerfish and occasionally notice white marks on them. I've seen it before, and in the past, I've simply assumed they are scrapes because they heal in a matter of day(s), are only on the triggers, and they do not behave unusually--no scratching or erratic swimming. There are no serious signs of aggression between them aside from an occasional chase, and no other fish harass them.

I found them rather worse today than usual. Anyone think this is something I should be more worried about? E.g., does it look like a disease?

Also, I will be moving them all to a new setup in the next few weeks. I suspect someone has already written a good resource about this, so links are appreciated, but is there a process or dip I should use to prevent (or at least minimize) possible hitchhiking diseases from getting transferred to the new setup?

They're in a 125 G FOWLR. Tankmates are a dwarf fuzzy lion, snowflake eel, couple clownfish, marine betta, lineatus rabbitfish, some BTAs and small cleanup crew and a longspine urchin. All happy and healthy. Parameters are stable, system is about 4 years old, nitrates are stable but a little high at ~20ppm. No other history that I am aware of of disease.

View attachment 2873464 View attachment 2873465 View attachment 2873466 View attachment 2873467 View attachment 2873468 View attachment 2873469 View attachment 2873470
These guys tend to wedge into rocks and startle easily and looks like scrapes on the body. not much you can do in adding anything for healing and pimafix and stress coat does not work.
Approach the tank slowly especially if fish are newer.
As for head are on both, appears to be lymphocystis but cant expand pics to get clearer look as it may be bacteria lesions also.
What is current ammonia and nitrate levels and what food are you feeding ?

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back