Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my Trident probably close to 2 years now, no issues so far. I replaced the reagent two days ago, waited a day to calibrate, and now it's saying my alk is dropping rapidly...

Screenshot 2022-11-16 064638.png

You can see up until 13th of November I was hovering around 8.2-8.3. I was previously dosing 80ml two part a day and had just upped it to 90ml to try and get it back to 8.5dkh where I usually keep it.

Did the calibration on the 13th, and since then my alk readings has been dropping rapidly without any change in dosing. I did a full reagent swap and used the calibration solution, so now I have nothing to calibrate it with and don't know what to do...

There's no way i've gone from a balanced ecosystem to -0.5dkh per 12 hours so something is wrong here.... What do I do?

Top Shelf Aquatics

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing I would do is compare against another testing method. I wouldn't expect the two testing methods to agree with each other necessarily, but a second test kit could confirm that the tank is stable.

Once I knew my tank was not in danger, I think I would let the trident run for a few days then try recalibrating. If that didn't stabilize the readings maybe try new reagents. After that it might be a call to Neptune or a rebuild/exchange?

For recalibrating you can use this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/fauna-marin-multi-reference-solution.html?qty=1

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
ekandler

ekandler

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just got more Hanna solution to at least keep up on what my alk readings are.

I’ve read elsewhere my issue could be a pump failure, which is common during the reagent replacements. It’s 2 years old this month and seems if the pump fails and the proper reagent amount isn’t dispersed the readings will be crazy.

going to try the Hanna for a bit to make sure my tank is fine and then talk to Neptune.

All_talk

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some info on the Trident service program: https://www.neptunesystems.com/tridentservice/

I bought my Trident used and just recently started using it. It seems to be working well, tho I seem to have the same problem as many others where the ALK reading is a about 1 dhk lower than other test kits. I can deal with the offset as long as its consistent. My sample and waste lines need replaced so I'm going to do that, and I think I may order a DIY service kit just so I have it.

areefer01

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no way i've gone from a balanced ecosystem to -0.5dkh per 12 hours so something is wrong here.... What do I do?

First thing - send Neptune a ticket via their portal. This way you are in the queue. Provide the information as you put it here. Age, serial number, reagent type used, how it was performing, and how it is after. The more you can provide the better.

Second thing - don't make any changes. You adjusted your dose a few days before let it ride.

Third thing - if you have a manual kit you can use that. As alreayd noted do not chase numbers but rather do a quick test, at the same time the trident is testing ALK, and compare. For example if you are using the standard test cycle we know ALK will be tested at 12 noon. Let us say you then have Hanna's ALK checker. Easy to use, decent results. At 12 noon when the trident is going pull your Hannas water sample near the Trident draw line so we are somewhat using the same water or in proximity. Now run that test. Compare numbers. Save so you can provide information to Neptune when they reach out.

Last thing - your Trident is 2 years old. While I personally know a few hobbyist using Tridents longer than that without service yours is in the area they start to recommend it. As already provided there are three options and if you are handy and have reagents available to include calibration fluid the self service is a good choice. Instructions are great, easy to use (Paul did a great job), and wont' take long at all. I went this route. If you want to send it in then I'd recommend the 3rd option they have since they send you one over night (I think it was) and you get a box of reagents and new unit. Once your swap send yours in and they credit you some money back. All in all I think all three options are fair.

TL: DR - don't panic. Submit ticket. Manual test at same time the Trident is running an ALK test. Draw water sample from same area or as close proximity. Compare results. Save info to pass to Neptune. Also for what it is worth I think calibration is 48 to 72 hours. I don't think that would matter in your case but something to keep in mind for the next time.

All the best.

AI Nero 5

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Black Label Aquatics
Back