trident calibration fluid are they still good?

AI Hydra

david campbell

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have a collection of these neptune trident calibration fluid bottles about 9 of them. they are un opened. i was wonbering if i should toss them. i dont use them that much, cause i check the trident with my hanas and red sea kits every time i test my wifes tank. i used one last night,
View attachment 3038196

but keep getting a no sample error and soaked the hose in citric acid, massaged it well and blowing it out, i still got this no sample error.
finally i just restarted it before going to bed at 11pm, left the hose in the neptune trident calibration fluid. it was suppose to be 8.30, 440 and 1345 water....i woke to these numbers tested at midnight..

View attachment 3038198

i have manually tested and they are false.....

so again i let the trident run in the calibration solution over night but im unsure how old the un opened bottle i chose was..... do unused neptune trident calibration fluid bottles go bad even if un opened? i ran a caliration just now to see if i get what the label says heres what i got .

cal fluid says 8.30-- cal results once finished 7.55
cal fluid says 440--cal results once finished 328
cal fluid says 1345--cal results once finished 973

View attachment 3038197.

i see alot of the same problem alot but not to many rock solid answers as to why.. has anyone nailed down this problem and its cause beyound speculation? thanks

UPDATE I FIXED IT. since i use trident controled dosing im going to have to turn that off for awhile so the tank can settle down.
1677348758679.png

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics

HankstankXXXL750

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about everything you said, but I have been dealing with my tridents for the last couple of days, in some of my reading on neptunes site I found out that they say the calibration solutions are synced to the solutions they are shipped with.

AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back