+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all-
so I have a Tribal blenny that I had to separate from my other tank, as he was giving my firefish a heart attack every time he swam by. I had to put him in a 10 gallon for the time being, which is cycled, though it does not have a good light, so there is absolutely no algae (I just put a good one one). He’s been in there for roughly 2 weeks. He was with a royal gramma, as I had taken him out of a different tank, since he was attacking a goby. The gramma began eating less, and then suddenly died overnight, and it looked like it’s tail had almost melted off. The tribal blenny has started showing similar symptoms- he is moving much less than before, and this (pictured) was his tail this morning. It almost looked like he was shedding some of his slime coat yesterday as well. I can get him to eat Mysis shrimp, but his usually voracious appetite has decreased. He has just recently gotten over ich. I went to my local fish store and was recommended Metroplex or Kannaplex, which I bought both of. Anyone have any advice for treatment? Params of tank are 0 amm, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates (though I just did a water change so a bit lower now). Temp 78, pretty high flow. I know 10 gallons isn’t ideal, but I can’t do anything else as a QT as I’m in apartment.
Let me know thoughts and what other information anyone would need. Thank you

F292A2F1-783B-4549-B37E-60487DA04636.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all-
so I have a Tribal blenny that I had to separate from my other tank, as he was giving my firefish a heart attack every time he swam by. I had to put him in a 10 gallon for the time being, which is cycled, though it does not have a good light, so there is absolutely no algae (I just put a good one one). He’s been in there for roughly 2 weeks. He was with a royal gramma, as I had taken him out of a different tank, since he was attacking a goby. The gramma began eating less, and then suddenly died overnight, and it looked like it’s tail had almost melted off. The tribal blenny has started showing similar symptoms- he is moving much less than before, and this (pictured) was his tail this morning. It almost looked like he was shedding some of his slime coat yesterday as well. I can get him to eat Mysis shrimp, but his usually voracious appetite has decreased. He has just recently gotten over ich. I went to my local fish store and was recommended Metroplex or Kannaplex, which I bought both of. Anyone have any advice for treatment? Params of tank are 0 amm, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates (though I just did a water change so a bit lower now). Temp 78, pretty high flow. I know 10 gallons isn’t ideal, but I can’t do anything else as a QT as I’m in apartment.
Let me know thoughts and what other information anyone would need. Thank you

View attachment 2804296
1. Do not use 'both'. I would pick kanaplex.
2. I would keep the fish in a medicated tank without rock (I assume its rock in your picture)
3. The gramma did not lose its fin overnight (from a problem) - it probably died - and your CUC ate the fin (That's my guess) - unless you have an unknown predator in your tank.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do not use 'both'. I would pick kanaplex.
2. I would keep the fish in a medicated tank without rock (I assume its rock in your picture)
3. The gramma did not lose its fin overnight (from a problem) - it probably died - and your CUC ate the fin (That's my guess) - unless you have an unknown predator in your tank.
I haven’t used either yet, wanted to ask about which would be best. I’ll use the Kanna then.
I can take the rock out if that would be beneficial. There is also sand however, if that would be a problem.
I do have a cleanup crew- a few hermits. I only assume it melted like that just because of how fast it’s affecting the tribal blenny.

CLICK TO VIEW

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t used either yet, wanted to ask about which would be best. I’ll use the Kanna then.
I can take the rock out if that would be beneficial. There is also sand however, if that would be a problem.
I do have a cleanup crew- a few hermits. I only assume it melted like that just because of how fast it’s affecting the tribal blenny.
Typically, fin erosion starts from some injury, often from another fish. Since it involves both fish in this case, that is less likely. I would agree, start with the Kanaplex first.
Is the blenny breathing fast?
Jay

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never watched his breathing particularly before this happened so I have nothing to compare it to, but from me watching him now I would say this is pretty fast breathing.
Typically, fin erosion starts from some injury, often from another fish. Since it involves both fish in this case, that is less likely. I would agree, start with the Kanaplex first.
Is the blenny breathing fast?
Ja

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never watched his breathing particularly before this happened so I have nothing to compare it to, but from me watching him now I would say this is pretty fast breathing.
That is typically a sign of a gill disease or a whole body infection. I asked because of how fast the gramma died - unexpectedly fast for just tail erosion. Hopefully the Kanaplex will resolve it….
Jay

BRS
OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is typically a sign of a gill disease or a whole body infection. I asked because of how fast the gramma died - unexpectedly fast for just tail erosion. Hopefully the Kanaplex will resolve it….
Jay
Just got back to apartment. He swam up to the surface to be fed, which is the first time he’s done that in a while, so hopefully that’s a good sign. Tail doesn’t look any worse than it did than when I left. Dosed some Kanna into the tank, and got him to eat some shrimp that I soaked in the Kanna as well. My LFS guy also gave me a piece of live rock as well, which is covered in algae, since I don’t have any in his current tank. Is this live rock okay to put in? Extra filtration, and he loves eating algae off rock. Just want to make sure this is fine.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just got back to apartment. He swam up to the surface to be fed, which is the first time he’s done that in a while, so hopefully that’s a good sign. Tail doesn’t look any worse than it did than when I left. Dosed some Kanna into the tank, and got him to eat some shrimp that I soaked in the Kanna as well. My LFS guy also gave me a piece of live rock as well, which is covered in algae, since I don’t have any in his current tank. Is this live rock okay to put in? Extra filtration, and he loves eating algae off rock. Just want to make sure this is fine.
I would not add kanaplex to the food. As for algae, its good to furnish but do realize that the belief this fish is strictly an algae eater does not apply. The most challenging part about keeping a blenny is making sure it gets enough to eat. You can tell if its getting enough by looking at the belly which should be a nice rounded shape. A blenny with a pinched belly isn’t finding enough food.
Although a blenny needs plenty of algae to survive, it's a misconception is that it can survive on algae alone. In the wild, blennies frequent shallow waters dwelling within the coral reefs. They circle areas with coral branches and sponges, scraping their way along the sea bottom. Their feeding techniques are to pound and gnaw the coral, and as a result, they ingest detritus, or waste material primarily, from the coral. This includes bits of coral skeleton, sand, gravel, and other organic matter, such as fish eggs and tiny crustaceans.
Since a blenny in the wild does not subsist on solely algae, it stands to reason that their captive diet must be supplemented. If a blenny is not getting enough calcium carbonate in its diet, its condition will rapidly deteriorate. Therefore, it is important to offer an occasional selection of commercial algae-based wafers or pellets.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add kanaplex to the food. As for algae, its good to furnish but do realize that the belief this fish is strictly an algae eater does not apply. The most challenging part about keeping a blenny is making sure it gets enough to eat. You can tell if its getting enough by looking at the belly which should be a nice rounded shape. A blenny with a pinched belly isn’t finding enough food.
Although a blenny needs plenty of algae to survive, it's a misconception is that it can survive on algae alone. In the wild, blennies frequent shallow waters dwelling within the coral reefs. They circle areas with coral branches and sponges, scraping their way along the sea bottom. Their feeding techniques are to pound and gnaw the coral, and as a result, they ingest detritus, or waste material primarily, from the coral. This includes bits of coral skeleton, sand, gravel, and other organic matter, such as fish eggs and tiny crustaceans.
Since a blenny in the wild does not subsist on solely algae, it stands to reason that their captive diet must be supplemented. If a blenny is not getting enough calcium carbonate in its diet, its condition will rapidly deteriorate. Therefore, it is important to offer an occasional selection of commercial algae-based wafers or pellets.
I gotcha. I’ve been feeding mainly mysis shrimp, and he goes for pellets as well. The tank he was in before had algae he would eat as well. He’s usually a super voracious eater, and I know I have been feeding him well. However I have not used any algae based wafers or pellets ever. I will pick some of those up tomorrow. Is there a certain brand you would recommend?

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I gotcha. I’ve been feeding mainly mysis shrimp, and he goes for pellets as well. The tank he was in before had algae he would eat as well. He’s usually a super voracious eater, and I know I have been feeding him well. However I have not used any algae based wafers or pellets ever. I will pick some of those up tomorrow. Is there a certain brand you would recommend?
Wafers- Hikari
Pellets: PE Mysis or Spectrum

1661643843131.png

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back