+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So as a rookie, setting up my tank I used tap water. I know now that this was a huge mistake, my tank is looking really great and everyone is thriving so hopefully I caught it in time. I just received the RODI buddy I ordered and have some water brewing now, tested the TDS and it's at 5ppm (assuming because I got a 70$ RO buddy) as opposed to my tap which is 157ppm. What is the best way of transitioning the tank to new water? I'm going to do a 20% water change now to siphon the sand bed and such. But long term what's a good plan? I have a dragonette in there who's doing really great and I don't want to nuke it's food supply by ripping the tank down and starting with brand new water

CLICK TO VIEW

dwest

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So as a rookie, setting up my tank I used tap water. I know now that this was a huge mistake, my tank is looking really great and everyone is thriving so hopefully I caught it in time. I just received the RODI buddy I ordered and have some water brewing now, tested the TDS and it's at 5ppm (assuming because I got a 70$ RO buddy) as opposed to my tap which is 157ppm. What is the best way of transitioning the tank to new water? I'm going to do a 20% water change now to siphon the sand bed and such. But long term what's a good plan? I have a dragonette in there who's doing really great and I don't want to nuke it's food supply by ripping the tank down and starting with brand new water
I would just start with the new water change. I wouldn’t look back.

Enjoy your new tank.

Top Shelf Aquatics

mjw011689

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. You don’t need to change it all out or anything. Just keep using ro going forward. That being said, I’m not familiar with ro buddy, but you should be getting 0 tds. Not sure if you’ve gone through the break in period or not, but it should be zero. I’d still use it at 5 for now (way better than tap, and everything’s doing fine in tap for now), but look into it.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. You don’t need to change it all out or anything. Just keep using ro going forward. That being said, I’m not familiar with ro buddy, but you should be getting 0 tds. Not sure if you’ve gone through the break in period or not, but it should be zero. I’d still use it at 5 for now (way better than tap, and everything’s doing fine in tap for now), but look into it.
I'll definitely look into it!! I followed the instructions super carefully, let it run for 30 minutes when I put the membrane in. Even ran it for another 10 minutes after adding the resin cart (didn't say anything about doing a rinse after adding resin)

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NYOS
Back