Transferring Rock from tank to tank

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I was looking into upgrading from my 25gal lagoon to a 50gal. If I transfer my live rock to the new tank, would it kickstart the cycle and allow me to put my current fish and coral straight into the tank? And are you able to transfer sand from tank to tank?
TIA :)

TangerineSpeedo

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is a hard one to transfer, you have to clean it well with salt water before you reuse it. There also might be a bunch of sand dwelling creatures that you will have to rescue ( micro brittle stars etc.)
But yes you can just transfer all of your live rock and fish to your new tank. Do not add any more bioload to the tank until the new tank settles.
So for your transfer, you can put in new sand in your 50g, but only half, because you will be adding sand once cleaned from your old tank.
One other thing you can do. Is suck out your old sand 25% at a time, clean it, and add it to your new tank with a few pieces of rock each week, then do the transfer. Your sand is full of biome and you can use it to your advantage.

OP
OP
austin_socal

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand is a hard one to transfer, you have to clean it well with salt water before you reuse it. There also might be a bunch of sand dwelling creatures that you will have to rescue ( micro brittle stars etc.)
But yes you can just transfer all of your live rock and fish to your new tank. Do not add any more bioload to the tank until the new tank settles.
So for your transfer, you can put in new sand in your 50g, but only half, because you will be adding sand once cleaned from your old tank.
One other thing you can do. Is suck out your old sand 25% at a time, clean it, and add it to your new tank with a few pieces of rock each week, then do the transfer. Your sand is full of biome and you can use it to your advantage.
Wow. Thank you!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I was looking into upgrading from my 25gal lagoon to a 50gal. If I transfer my live rock to the new tank, would it kickstart the cycle and allow me to put my current fish and coral straight into the tank? And are you able to transfer sand from tank to tank?
TIA :)

Yes. Once you put live rock from an old tank to a new one, the nitrifying bacteria populating the rock will do what it always does.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back