Transferring live stock from dino tank.

Deltec

Did you successfully transfer live stock from Dino’s?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read about 30 threads on here from numerous people who upgraded or switched tanks from a dino infested one to a new one with mixed results… it seems the majority didn’t have any issues but I seen a couple that have.. also didn’t say if the new tank was established or new rock and sand etc without a biodiversity.. I’ve also read over and over that most people get rid of them by adding some rock from a different system to the Dino one. What’s been your experience moving fish and coral from a Dino tank to a new tank?!?! it seems the consensus is that fish can bring them on their slime coat and corals ingest them and expel so a dip might help but doesn’t stop them.. not to mention it’s commonly said every tank has Dino’s regardless… please share or vote I should say, to make it easier for everyone like myself to say okay I got a 70% chance it would be good or 10% chance it will be okay? Basically is the gamble worth the risk lol..

and if possible what kind of Dino’s did you have?

Last edited:

TurboTang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might depend what type dino you have. But I previously found it to very easy to move large cell amphidium (sand dwellers) around. I had been battling them for months in a 135g - until the tank started leaking. Bought new 150g tank, packed fish/rocks/fav corals in a 40B and remaining rock/inverts/water in brutes. Setup new tank with new sand and put everything back 1/2 new water 1/2 old. This was a 2 day process. Took about a month before dinos started coating new sand again. I also transferred them to a 15g hospital tank - but they didn't last long there as I could just kill the lights.

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might depend what type dino you have. But I previously found it to very easy to move large cell amphidium (sand dwellers) around. I had been battling them for months in a 135g - until the tank started leaking. Bought new 150g tank, packed fish/rocks/fav corals in a 40B and remaining rock/inverts/water in brutes. Setup new tank with new sand and put everything back 1/2 new water 1/2 old. This was a 2 day process. Took about a month before dinos started coating new sand again. I also transferred them to a 15g hospital tank - but they didn't last long there as I could just kill the lights.
Guess I should add that into the poll… currently have the sand dwellers myself! Ugh

OP
OP
Troylee

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the new tank didn’t have new live rock? You moved the previous dino Infested rock to a new tank with a new sand bed?

TurboTang

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - moved everything but the sand. I thought it was a great opportunity to get rid of them finally. It took another 2 months of dosing mb7 and silica before diatoms dominated

Deltec

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Premium Algae Scrubbers from Turbo's Aquatics!
Back