Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been going back and forth between keeping my black “sand” which is practically gravel for saltwater or switching to actual sand. I like the black but other than snails I can’t get anything that can clean it well like anything with sand. So my question would be is there anything I should worry about when switching them out when it comes to the corals or my livestock?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been going back and forth between keeping my black “sand” which is practically gravel for saltwater or switching to actual sand. I like the black but other than snails I can’t get anything that can clean it well like anything with sand. So my question would be is there anything I should worry about when switching them out when it comes to the corals or my livestock?
Depending on the flow of your tank, you'll want to consider grain size, lest you encounter frequent sand storms. Additionally, if you want to add critters that sift it, you'll want to make sure they can fit it in their mouths. Though, they tend to create sandstorms of their own... and annoy corals. Personally, I'm a fan of reef flake, as I feel it has the perfect size and weight to avoid sandstorms (even with dual MP60s on blast), but can still allow for burrowing and tunneling of gobies and wrasses.make sure though, that no matter what you decide on, TO WASH IT FIRST. Get those fines out now, or they will haunt you for years.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the flow of your tank, you'll want to consider grain size, lest you encounter frequent sand storms. Additionally, if you want to add critters that sift it, you'll want to make sure they can fit it in their mouths. Though, they tend to create sandstorms of their own... and annoy corals. Personally, I'm a fan of reef flake, as I feel it has the perfect size and weight to avoid sandstorms (even with dual MP60s on blast), but can still allow for burrowing and tunneling of gobies and wrasses.make sure though, that no matter what you decide on, TO WASH IT FIRST. Get those fines out now, or they will haunt you for years.
I’ll have to look up the reef flake. My local lfs don’t have that

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you send me a picture of the reef flake you’re talking about. All I’m pulling up is fish food

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you send me a picture of the reef flake you’re talking about. All I’m pulling up is fish food
Sorry it isn't the best picture, I have a few bags in the garage in my shelf o' aquarium cr@p. I had to pull some stuff off of it and was too lazy to take it off the shelf. Lol. It is called "Tongan Mesoflake", by Tropic Eden.

Attachments

• 20230213_203345.jpg
    20230213_203345.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it isn't the best picture, I have a few bags in the garage in my shelf o' aquarium cr@p. I had to pull some stuff off of it and was too lazy to take it off the shelf. Lol. It is called "Tongan Mesoflake", by Tropic Eden.
Oh yea my lfs don’t carry that one. Is it good for sand sifting starfish and diamond gobies?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back