Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all, I have a newer 2 head torch that was open very well the first week or so I had it but since then one of the heads has barely been out and the other is like half extended. I noticed the body has these dark marks on it that I don't remember it having when I got it but cant say for sure. parameters are calc 459, dkh 10.8(recently switched from red sea black to blue bucket so its slowly coming down), mag is 1250, ph is 8.2 to 8.3, and salinity is 1.026. Nitrate and phos are very low due to a skimmer and a fuge but ive been trying to get them up. lights are ai prime/t5 4 bulb hybrid but I don't have par numbers. moderate flow over the top of them. there's another torch and some hammers that are doing very well as well as a goni.

IMG_4072.jpeg IMG_4074.jpeg IMG_4075.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all, I have a newer 2 head torch that was open very well the first week or so I had it but since then one of the heads has barely been out and the other is like half extended. I noticed the body has these dark marks on it that I don't remember it having when I got it but cant say for sure. parameters are calc 459, dkh 10.8(recently switched from red sea black to blue bucket so its slowly coming down), mag is 1250, ph is 8.2 to 8.3, and salinity is 1.026. Nitrate and phos are very low due to a skimmer and a fuge but ive been trying to get them up. lights are ai prime/t5 4 bulb hybrid but I don't have par numbers. moderate flow over the top of them. there's another torch and some hammers that are doing very well as well as a goni.

View attachment 3096416 View attachment 3096417 View attachment 3096418
Few things I’m noticing right off the bat. Let’s start with the numbers, mag is low, you will want to get it to around 1350.
Secondly the flesh does look quite receded off the skeleton trunk, and extremely pale at the connection point to the skeleton.
Would like a closer up photo of the dark spot that you are referring to, if at all possible, thank you.
The dark spot in between the branches looks to be possibly a new head forming, but odd given its location.
There seems to be a dent in the left trunk that could indicate some sort of boring clam. Are these indo corals? Edit; just saw second post, Aussie corals. Aussie corals and indo corals are more prone for having boring mollusks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things I’m noticing right off the bat. Let’s start with the numbers, mag is low, you will want to get it to around 1350.
Secondly the flesh does look quite receded off the skeleton trunk, and extremely pale at the connection point to the skeleton.
Would like a closer up photo of the dark spot that you are referring to, if at all possible, thank you.
The dark spot in between the branches looks to be possibly a new head forming, but odd given its location.
There seems to be a dent in the left trunk that could indicate some sort of boring clam. Are these indo corals? Edit; just saw second post, Aussie corals. Aussie corals and indo corals are more prone for having boring mollusks.
IMG_4100.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4099.jpeg
    IMG_4099.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4098.jpeg
    IMG_4098.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4097.jpeg
    IMG_4097.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4096.jpeg
    IMG_4096.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4094.jpeg
    IMG_4094.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 22

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the second set of pictures, very helpful. Hmm, I’m going out on a limb here to take a crack a what I’m seeing here. I believe this was a coral infected with some sort of boring spinoid or boring clam. Someone then tried to treat it by puttying the opening shut. Someone please correct me if I’m off base! As for your coral, it could just be in recovery from that.

OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the second set of pictures, very helpful. Hmm, I’m going out on a limb here to take a crack a what I’m seeing here. I believe this was a coral infected with some sort of boring spinoid or boring clam. Someone then tried to treat it by puttying the opening shut. Someone please correct me if I’m off base! As for your coral, it could just be in recovery from that.
Thanks a ton for the reply, anything you’d suggest i do other than get my mag up?

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh doesn't look great, and Params a bit out of wack. Very high alk IMO and low mag, but seeing as you have others doing okay it's hard to tell. It could be those came from a system with very different Params and are adjusting. Another thing to note is one head is splitting. I've noticed I get polyp retraction when my heads split and the coral gets a little stressed during the split. Could be it started splitting, coupled with a new environment and it's just not happy. Try not to play with it too much and move it to a low flow area.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flesh doesn't look great, and Params a bit out of wack. Very high alk IMO and low mag, but seeing as you have others doing okay it's hard to tell. It could be those came from a system with very different Params and are adjusting. Another thing to note is one head is splitting. I've noticed I get polyp retraction when my heads split and the coral gets a little stressed during the split. Could be it started splitting, coupled with a new environment and it's just not happy. Try not to play with it too much and move it to a low flow area.
If after a week or two it's not improving try a Cipro/chemiclean/iodine bath and it might help

OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. And i’m trying to get the alk down and the mag back up

MischiefReef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a ton for the reply, anything you’d suggest i do other than get my mag up?
Other than raising mag, I’d keep an eye on the putty mark site for any tentacles popping out, or any new holes forming. Also keep an eye on the coral flesh and make sure it doesn’t start oozing off in strands (BJD). Lastly keep it under moderate light and flow to recover.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than raising mag, I’d keep an eye on the putty mark site for any tentacles popping out, or any new holes forming. Also keep an eye on the coral flesh and make sure it doesn’t start oozing off in strands (BJD). Lastly keep it under moderate light and flow to recover.
sounds good, its moved down to the sand bed in a low flow spot. thanks for the answers everyone

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Pacific East
Back