Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Thank you very much in advance for your help / advice!
I am starting a 75 gallon tank, dimensions 48" x 18" x 21"
I really, really want if not need torch coral(s) in my tank
However, as I am planning out my locations, I am running into some questions

1. How long roughly (under optimal conditions) does it take for torch corals to double in size? I understand that Indos grow faster and have longer tentacles than Aussies, is that correct?

2. Is there any problem having a torch coral within 3 inches of the glass, for cleaning? (I understand the sweepers only come out at night) Will I run into problems down the line when it grows larger and its tentacles are up against the glass?

3. Would you recommend to have my torch coral on an island, so that if it does become too large I can either
A) Move the island to a better location so it doesn't bother nearby corals
B) Remove the island and frag the torch coral to decrease its size

4. My tank is 21 inches deep - if I have a 2 inch sand bed, with a rock protruding 1 inch above with the torch coral on top, 2 inch frag initially - this is already at 5 inches height - if it doubles in size / grows larger, with a 6 inch sweeper tentacle.. this seems like it is guaranteed to hit almost anything placed within the tank 12-16 inches of it. Is this thinking right?
Is it possible that since my powerhead will be coming from the back left, toward the torch in the front left, that the sweepers will be blown toward the glass / away from the other corals?
Or should I just be strict and not place any other corals within 12-16 inches of the torch coral frags initial placement?

5. When your torch grows too large / its sweeper is hitting other corals, what do you recommend doing?

6. Is there a better idea / placement for a torch coral in my tank than this front left corner, to prevent running into problems later down the road?

7. I have seen a wide range of PAR values recommended for torch corals, with an average around 100, but some as high as 200 and as low as 50 - what PAR do you keep your torches at?

8. Any tips for keeping torch corals / anything you can think of that would help me would be very much appreciated!

Attached picture of my planning paper / tank
Outer, thinner line is the glass, inner line is 3 inches space from the glass
Thank you very much for your help and sharing your knowledge!

tank.png tank-plans-1.png tank-plans-2.png

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Pepper Reefer

Pepper Reefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9. I read that you should not place Indos near Aussies as they'll sting each other / go to war - if this is true, if I wanted to expand to a torch garden, must I choose either all Indos or all Aussies? Is there any downside to picking all Aussies?

kartrsu

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How long roughly (under optimal conditions) does it take for torch corals to double in size? I understand that Indos grow faster and have longer tentacles than Aussies, is that correct?
Indo could be anywhere from 3-6 months under ideal conditions. Aussie, maybe 6 months to a yeae

2. Is there any problem having a torch coral within 3 inches of the glass, for cleaning? (I understand the sweepers only come out at night) Will I run into problems down the line when it grows larger and its tentacles are up against the glass?
No problem

3. Would you recommend to have my torch coral on an island, so that if it does become too large I can either
A) Move the island to a better location so it doesn't bother nearby corals
B) Remove the island and frag the torch coral to decrease its size
Sure why not. Or you can keep the coral on a plug and glue a plug holder to the rock so it’s movable.

4. My tank is 21 inches deep - if I have a 2 inch sand bed, with a rock protruding 1 inch above with the torch coral on top, 2 inch frag initially - this is already at 5 inches height - if it doubles in size / grows larger, with a 6 inch sweeper tentacle.. this seems like it is guaranteed to hit almost anything placed within the tank 12-16 inches of it. Is this thinking right?
Is it possible that since my powerhead will be coming from the back left, toward the torch in the front left, that the sweepers will be blown toward the glass / away from the other corals?
Or should I just be strict and not place any other corals within 12-16 inches of the torch coral frags initial placement?
Hard to tell, not all torch corals extend that far out or send out sweepers. It is ideal to give them space and have random flow vs laminar
5. When your torch grows too large / its sweeper is hitting other corals, what do you recommend doing?
Move it or the victim. Unfortunately once a torch starts sensing another coral is encroaching, it will continue to send out sweepers.
6. Is there a better idea / placement for a torch coral in my tank than this front left corner, to prevent running into problems later down the road?
Should be fine, although I like to keep them front and center and have a torch garden
7. I have seen a wide range of PAR values recommended for torch corals, with an average around 100, but some as high as 200 and as low as 50 - what PAR do you keep your torches at?
150-250, they can take it, but not all
8. Any tips for keeping torch corals / anything you can think of that would help me would be very much appreciated!
Prepare to treat for bacterial infections
Attached picture of my planning paper / tank
Outer, thinner line is the glass, inner line is 3 inches space from the glass
Thank you very much for your help and sharing your knowledge!

View attachment 2925667 View attachment 2925668 View attachment 2925669

9. I read that you should not place Indos near Aussies as they'll sting each other / go to war - if this is true, if I wanted to expand to a torch garden, must I choose either all Indos or all Aussies? Is there any downside to picking all Aussies?
This is correct. They can play nice but not always. Gardens are best done with torches from the same origin.

Aussies grow slower and more temperamental in my experience. They seem to be colder water species. Indo grow faster and are hardier. Aussie does tend to have fatter tentacles and indo more skinny and long

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back