+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to top off some last water in my tank, maybe 2-3Gal

while I was planning on using RODI water from my local fish store I was reading this site which seems to either be just plain misinformation or I’m reading it wrong…

Can I use my regular filtered fridge water? I’m on a well so the entire house already goes through sediment, softening and other removal processes…

Nutramar Foods

Fish Styx

The Dude Abides
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hard no. Most filtered drinking water is unsuitable for reef aquaria. Depending on the source of the water, it can have any number of contaminates that simply aren't filtered out by, nor removed by basic carbon adsorption. Removing "some" chlorine or chloramines, or even "most" is not acceptable. True, we use RO/DI and aim for 0 TDS. The reason for this, is so that when we reconstitute our salt mixes, our resulting SW has everything we want and nothing we don't. If is is lacking, we add via dosing. When our water evaporates, the dissolved solids that we add, i.e. salt and minerals, remain. Therefor, when adding fresh RO/DI to your system via topoff, your concentrations remain stable. While the use of filtered and reconditioned tap water is suitable for FW aquaria, it is universally frowned upon in SW.

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back