Too much light for soft coral?

Jayreef23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a soft coral I just purchased today. I acclimated it to my tank and put him towards the top of the tank but he is still shriveled up and not expanding. Could it be too much light? Should I lower the light intensity or lower the coral to the sandbed?

IMG_4487.jpeg

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically no but that looks like it could be a non photosynthetic coral in which case it will most likely die from lack of food as they don’t typically survive in our aquariums.

Is it yellow and red?

If it’s NPS, then it should go into a dark spot with good flow but ya… not good if so.

OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically no but that looks like it could be a non photosynthetic coral in which case it will most likely die from lack of food as they don’t typically survive in our aquariums.

Is it yellow and red?

If it’s NPS, then it should go into a dark spot with good flow but ya… not good if so.
It was sold to me as a soft coral I don’t think it’s NPS

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about green but the photo and the way it is closed up makes me think of Scleronephthya, comes in a variety of colors but generally red/orange/yellow/pink.

I’m guessing if it’s green it’s not that though!

Soft corals are moody so it’s not so for it to be ticked off

It won’t hurt it to start it on the bottom and move it up over time

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jayreef23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about green but the photo and the way it is closed up makes me think of Scleronephthya, comes in a variety of colors but generally red/orange/yellow/pink.

I’m guessing if it’s green it’s not that though!

Soft corals are moody so it’s not so for it to be ticked off

It won’t hurt it to start it on the bottom and move it up over time
Thanks…appreciate the advice

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a soft coral I just purchased today. I acclimated it to my tank and put him towards the top of the tank but he is still shriveled up and not expanding. Could it be too much light? Should I lower the light intensity or lower the coral to the sandbed?

IMG_4487.jpeg
Apply light to moderate as with most soft corals. Most softies will close up at dark or very low light

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an unhappy colt/Kenya tree/sinularia to me, soft corals are generally very flexible, though a bit moody at times, I had a leather that took a month to open up, I'd give it time

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back