+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!
I have a 150 gallon (2x2x5) tank with a couple soft/lps corals but the plan is to fill it mainly with primarily SPS. I have 4 AI Nero 5s and 2 Maxspect xf280 gyres.

I have the gyres on opposing ends running at 20% on alternating gyre mode and the Nero 5s lined up on the back wall running at 100% random mode. Is this an excessive amount of flow? My current corals don’t seem to appreciate so much flow and the sand is blowing around like crazy. I want to make sure the Acropora that are currently in quarantine have adequate flow but I’m wondering if my current setup is excessive for my current situation

Nutramar Foods

d2mini

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast

bakbay

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess in a way lol, my question was more along the lines of seeing if 4 Nero 5s would be enough for a sps dominant tank or am I doing my Acropora a disservice
I'm in a pickle with respect to flow on my 36x36x24 tank. btw: I assume yours is a 5x2x2 (L x W x H)? I have 3 Neptune WAVs running at 90%+ and just added 1 MP40qd running 60% Reef Crest mode. My personal problem is with the aquascape -- rock work being too high at 2/3 of the tank vs 1/2. Additionally, I'm a sucker for chalices and they don't like too much flow!

If you want to achieve more flow, I would recommend getting rid of your sand and go bare bottom. Your future SPS corals will thank you! As an added bonus, it's waaaay easier to clean! My 2c

EugeneVan

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a pickle with respect to flow on my 36x36x24 tank. btw: I assume yours is a 5x2x2 (L x W x H)? I have 3 Neptune WAVs running at 90%+ and just added 1 MP40qd running 60% Reef Crest mode. My personal problem is with the aquascape -- rock work being too high at 2/3 of the tank vs 1/2. Additionally, I'm a sucker for chalices and they don't like too much flow!

If you want to achieve more flow, I would recommend getting rid of your sand and go bare bottom. Your future SPS corals will thank you! As an added bonus, it's waaaay easier to clean! My 2c
Totally agree with Bakbay. Bare bottom is the way to go if your future plan is SPS tank. I have a 200 gal SPS tank with 2 Neputne WAVS and 2 4K Icecap pumps running on opposite sides. All my SPS appreciate the flow. I grow green star polyp on the bottom of my tank instead of sand. It look way better ;) :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

20221011_192250.jpg

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess in a way lol, my question was more along the lines of seeing if 4 Nero 5s would be enough for a sps dominant tank or am I doing my Acropora a disservice
In aggregate that will be plenty of flow. The trick is making sure a given acro isn't getting blasted by direct flow. Also, that flow isn't always from the same direction.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Drummerguydw

Drummerguydw

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In aggregate that will be plenty of flow. The trick is making sure a given acro isn't getting blasted by direct flow. Also, that flow isn't always from the same direction.
My main question is if it is too much and if I would be able to dial it back to only the Nero 5s and have enough flow for the Acropora? I want to make sure my LPS aren’t getting torn apart because the flow is too much

Lavey29

7500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan to have a mixed reef then place your powerheads on the sides about 3 inches below the water line. This way SPS at the top get strong flow, mid corals get moderate flow and bottom corals low flow.

TCK Corals

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tampa Bay Saltwater Live Rock and Live Sand
Back