Too big of a skimmer?

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If the time comes to upgrade my skimmer, I am wondering if I should go bigger, in the case that I also upgrade my tank by 30 gallons. I am currently running a 65g tank. Would a skimmer this size be TOO big? Would I run into problems or does it make sense to go bigger? Love the float switch and of course, the reviews.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes. What happens is the larger rates skimmers have larger necks and smaller systems don’t have the expected bioload to be able to produce skimmate to rise up that neck

You can cheat it by overstocking the tank or skimming wet and running the water level in the skimmer above the “ideal water line” indicator on the skimmer

You should be able to get a skimmer that works for a 65 and 95

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, depending on where you source your information, you're gonna see differing opinions as to how to size a skimmer to a tank. Some say to underdo it a tad, some say overdo it a tad. Some will add a low percentage amount when dealing with LPS and especially SPS and some say don't worry about it (some of this is dependent on what other means of filtration you have hooked up). But it IS possible to overskim. What is also important is your plan for the tank. You really should have an idea of your end goal in terms of how much livestock you're gonna have and stick with it.

And to add more confusion, if you're thinking about a Tunze 9400 series, for example, there is a HUGE difference in which you'd choose dependent on whether you go FOWLR or mixed reef.

I can tell ya that the 150 you're looking at is too big. If memory serves, it'll handle a 100g heavily stocked tank.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running an Eshopps S-300 rated for 260 - 500 gallons on my 90 gallon tank for the last 9 years with 3 fish and it works fine pulls gunk out everyday. I dose phytoplankton nightly and shut it down all night over sizing in my opinion is a myth.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running an Eshopps S-300 rated for 260 - 500 gallons on my 90 gallon tank for the last 9 years with 3 fish and it works fine pulls gunk out everyday. I dose phytoplankton nightly and shut it down all night over sizing in my opinion is a myth.
That being said, I ran an old E.T.S.S. skimmer rated for 400g on a 90 back 15 years ago when I first started out. Did fine. But it wasn't the best skimmer around. So i wasn't concerned so much as I figured what I had in excess I lacked in quality. I guess I'm just getting conservative in my old age and more prone to number chasing.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had an issue with nutrients bottoming out with your skimmer as it is? That is my main concern.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever had an issue with nutrients bottoming out with your skimmer as it is? That is my main concern.
No in fact my nitrates are and have been over 85 ppm for years. At one point the nitrates were over 230 ppm. Since I have started dosing Phyto they have come down, but I don't think I will ever have a low nutrient system again at this time.

OP
OP
ChrisfromBrick

ChrisfromBrick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
thanks for your replies everyone. Looking at a reef octopus and thinking I also want to find a float switch because I am recirculating my co2 scrubber through my current skimmer.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My email response from Jeremy at Coralvue when inquiring about a Diablo 160xs skimmer rated for:
Heavy filtration - 100g
Medium filtration - 160g
Light filtration - 180g

Current fish load - 75g tank
Banana Wrasse
Sebae Mono
2 lyretail anthias
3 Blue Chromis
Coral Beauty Angel
Black/white Clownfish
Harbor Goby

Coralvue response:
The Diablo 160 has a larger neck which requires a larger bioload to collect skimmate but works well when that point is reached and allows for a deeper water depth. Your bioload currently is a bit on the low side but add a foxface or some tangs to the tank so you are heavily stocked and you should be able to pull off the 160.

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was told in an email.

Kevin it will not hurt the system at all by putting the oversized skimmer on it remember the skimmer will only remove what is in the water so what’s going to happen is it will quickly catch up with any nutrients in the water and then it will slow down or stop until the nutrients are available to remove again so it’s not an issue.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is what I was told in an email.

Kevin it will not hurt the system at all by putting the oversized skimmer on it remember the skimmer will only remove what is in the water so what’s going to happen is it will quickly catch up with any nutrients in the water and then it will slow down or stop until the nutrients are available to remove again so it’s not an issue.
I read that as it will go through inconsistent results. Sometimes doing more and sometimes doing less. Not a bad thing just setting the expectation

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read that as it will go through inconsistent results. Sometimes doing more and sometimes doing less. Not a bad thing just setting the expectation
My Skimmer has produced skim mate every day and once in a while it does not on these days it just keeps the water aerated and is not inconsistent. My Skimmer is still working on these days. So in my opinion at this time oversized skimmers is a myth. It may not produce skim mate every single day but it is not a problem.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My Skimmer has produced skim mate every day and once in a while it does not on these days it just keeps the water aerated and is not inconsistent. My Skimmer is still working on these days. So in my opinion at this time oversized skimmers is a myth. It may not produce skim mate every single day but it is not a problem.
I agree it’s not a problem. I bought the oversized skimmer also and have no complaints and used it daily 2012-2024 And I ran much lighter bio loads than what was originally in the tank

However if it’s not producing skimmate daily, by definition, that is inconsistent

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it’s not a problem. I bought the oversized skimmer also and have no complaints and used it daily 2012-2024 And I ran much lighter bio loads than what was originally in the tank

However if it’s not producing skimmate daily, by definition, that is inconsistent
Mine produces skim mate everyday may be once a month or every 2 - 3 months it does not for one day that is not inconsistent.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mine produces skim mate everyday may be once a month or every 2 - 3 months it does not for one day that is not inconsistent.
I’ll step down. Everyone’s results can vary and a huge impact is the bio load and stocking of the tank

I have no skin in the game. Took my skimmer offline around January and have not looked back

Tide2water

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overskimming is real, it can and does happen. If you start seeing purple foam ya gotta turn her down. I've really only seen this issue firsthand on systems that had ozone though.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll step down. Everyone’s results can vary and a huge impact is the bio load and stocking of the tank

I have no skin in the game. Took my skimmer offline around January and have not looked back
Yes you did! I have been and remain impressed!

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overskimming is real, it can and does happen. If you start seeing purple foam ya gotta turn her down. I've really only seen this issue firsthand on systems that had ozone though.
I’ve never seen this in all my 30+ years of reefing, granted that I feed heavily and nutrient is always high.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back