+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,
Hoping to get some advice on a toadstool I've had for a good amount of time.
I had a lengthy (60 hrs) power outage recently that completely nuked my tank. The temperature went down to 55 degrees F, no circulation or anything. Water parameters actually stayed somewhat good, but all my coral died, apart from my toadstool, even pulsing xenia.
I've done water changes and removed all the dead coral and fish over the last few days, used phosphate and carbon filter pads to keep the decaying material at bay.
Tested ammonia and nitrite, and there is 0 ppm, so I actually restocked a few hardy corals and fish to keep the cycle going, and be my "canary in the coal mine," so to speak.

All look pretty good after about a week after the incident, but the toadstool that seemed like it made it, seems to be showing signs of dying.
Since the event it hasn't had it's polyps extend, which is common of course even if there wasn't any event, but the stalk is slumping over now.
The polyps look like they could extend soon, though, with a few bright green spots. Seems almost like the top could live on, but the stalk is doing worse.

These toadstools can release a lot of toxin into the water so I don't want to nuke my tank again.
Obviously the most prudent thing to do is remove it, but I've heard these corals can take a beating and recover more than almost any other coral.
BUT...even the pulsing xenia died...

What would you do?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

toad stool.JPG

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Eric Cohen

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make sure the flow is up and just above the leather so it will take away any "fluff" off that it gives off....it will like the flow.....with your tank balanced again, time will tell. Looks good to me from the photo.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back