Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 300gallon (stock tank )pond build for my sharks. Im wondering if I can get away with just tap water. It would be treated with prime and the tank will seeded and cycled. For a few weeks while I get everything setup. ( temp and filtration) as it will be located outside.

Thoughts?

Top Shelf Aquatics

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, don’t use tap . I used straight conditioned tap. The TDS crazy high and my tank became green and fuzzy. Got a RODI from a friend and use distilled for top offs when I don’t have RODI water ready. Vast improvement.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Opus

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, don’t use tap . I used straight conditioned tap. The TDS crazy high and my tank became green and fuzzy. Got a RODI from a friend and use distilled for top offs when I don’t have RODI water ready. Vast improvement.
He said the tank will be outside. Don't think he is worried about algae.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would ask Jay Hemdal

he's a staffer that has shark experience. not sure what kind of sharks you plan to keep but 300 gl is pretty small.
I have two bamboos and Coral Cat. Foot print is pretty good. 6ft round it’s actually I believe 365gallons. But I’m keeping it down 3-4” so estimating. When and if the bamboos outgrow it I’ll go for something bigger. Right now there in my reef DT with all the rock work I’m sure there cramped. Should I say the coral cat is cramped. The bamboos hardly move. Lol

OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said the tank will be outside. Don't think he is worried about algae.
It’s in my screened and covered lanai. I kept a 180 out there for 3 yrs. Absolutely no issues. No water changes for the last yr and a half before I took it down
I have two bamboos and Coral Cat. Foot print is pretty good. 6ft round it’s actually I believe 365gallons. But I’m keeping it down 3-4” so estimating. When and if the bamboos outgrow it I’ll go for something bigger. Right now there in my reef DT with all the rock work I’m sure there cramped. Should I say the coral cat is cramped. The bamboos hardly move. Lol

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about combining RODI + RODI waste water?
If you put the waste and rodi water back together isn’t it the same as using tap water that was run through a sediment and carbon filter? Or is there some reasoning that I’m missing?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish and starfish lover!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you? Yes! Should you? No! For multiple reasons including various containments/additives in the water that can’t be filtered and the possibility of bad algae issues that a poor water source doesn’t help with.

Budman93

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a 300gallon (stock tank )pond build for my sharks. Im wondering if I can get away with just tap water. It would be treated with prime and the tank will seeded and cycled. For a few weeks while I get everything setup. ( temp and filtration) as it will be located outside.

Thoughts?
I kept a fowlr for over a year with tap until i had to break it down. Honestly just depends where in the country you live and how the water is. That said i dont know anything about sharks and how sensitive they are

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put the waste and rodi water back together isn’t it the same as using tap water that was run through a sediment and carbon filter? Or is there some reasoning that I’m missing?

Yes but 1/3 of the water is RODI, and 2/3 is sediment+carbon water so that if there is something in the water, such as phosphates, it would be a third lower in the filled tank than just using the waste water. Its just an alternative to using 100% tap or 100% RODI, if the OP wants something in-between.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
S

speedjester

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on where you live, I usually say get a RODI just to be on the safe side though
I have a Rodi system. It will take me about two days to fill it. Just didn’t want to waste time and RODI if it wasn’t necessary for Fowler tank. I thought I read somewhere that most public aquariums use straight city water and treat to remove chlorine and Chloramines. On the non reef exhibits. Just can’t find it now.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Legendary
Back