Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to salt water aquariums and would like to keep dragonets eventually, which leads me to my real question, is it possible to directly seed my aquarium and establish a stable colony of copepods? Or should I stick to making a refuge for them?

I currently have a 75gal FOWLR with a clown, lawnmower blenny, and a couple CUC snails and stars

Corals.com

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, you definitely don't need a refugium. Fuges are great for keeping a breeding population of pods safe from fish that actively hunt them, but in practice, plenty of pods will hide in the rocks and do their job.

So with a fuge, you might see the population boom faster, but it's definitely not necessary.

vpierce3

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done both ways and both ways work. My first tank had pods in the live rock. I waited a year for the tank to mature and stabilize. Once I started seeing lots of pods on the sand and glass at night, I added the mandarin. He stayed fat for several years until I had to move and sell everything.
Now I have a larger tank that I seeded with them; half in my fuge and half in the rock. I gave it time to mature and added my mandarin. He’s super fat and happy. I’m getting ready to add a psychedelic mandarin as well.

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A refugium is ideal, but not necessarily needed if you have enough rockwork.

One upside of a refugium is that you can put non-pod-eating, potentially destructive animals in it. A large crab or one of the smaller frogfish, for example. Animals not suitable for your reef, but harmless to the pods.

exnisstech

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not needed but I like a fuge. Its a great place for pods to reproduce without predation and also home for all kinds of other cool creatures. My fuge is almost as interesting as my DT for watching critters. I have so much life there I hate to harvest the chaeto and usually wait until its overflowing into the next chamber.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Legendary
Back