Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a gem tang in a QT tank being treated with copper and Nitrofurazone due to what I believe is/was velvet. He seems to be holding on but wasn’t looking hot. Velvet (I think) killed my white tail and 3 of my bimac anthias. I didnt want to “finish off” my gem with a freshwater dip. Now that he’s somewhat stabilized should I FW dip or don’t bother. Thank you for your input. This is the worst I have ever been hit, sucks….

World Wide Corals

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I currently have a gem tang in a QT tank being treated with copper and Nitrofurazone due to what I believe is/was velvet. He seems to be holding on but wasn’t looking hot. Velvet (I think) killed my white tail and 3 of my bimac anthias. I didnt want to “finish off” my gem with a freshwater dip. Now that he’s somewhat stabilized should I FW dip or don’t bother. Thank you for your input. This is the worst I have ever been hit, sucks….
While not needed , can be done 5 mins the same temperature as tank it’s in
Are you able to provide pics under white lighting, as it’s best to confirm velvet
Some symptoms are swimming at surface and in path of water flow, loss of appetite, elevated breathing rate and in some cases scratching and lethargic behavior
How long did you treat copper and was it cupramine or coppersafe and how were you testing copper levels?

OP
OP
cplatts32

cplatts32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not needed , can be done 5 mins the same temperature as tank it’s in
Are you able to provide pics under white lighting, as it’s best to confirm velvet
Some symptoms are swimming at surface and in path of water flow, loss of appetite, elevated breathing rate and in some cases scratching and lethargic behavior
How long did you treat copper and was it cupramine or coppersafe and how were you testing copper levels?
I’ll take some pictures tomorrow. On day 3 of copper power blue. The reason I think it was velvet was because of how rapid the death was for other fish and the massive amount of white specs. He definitely had elevated breathing, scratching. He is eating now

AS

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take some pictures tomorrow. On day 3 of copper power blue. The reason I think it was velvet was because of how rapid the death was for other fish and the massive amount of white specs. He definitely had elevated breathing, scratching. He is eating now

If you could see individual spots it is almost surely ich, not velvet. With velvet, you see rapid breathing and then death in a few days. In some cases, you may see some dusty skin, but not actual spots.

I wouldn't do the FW dip, it just adds to stress. Copper Power takes 72 hours to really start to work, and now that the fish is eating, it sounds like it is starting to recover.

You might consider a round of Prazipro on this fish, just to clear it of possible flukes, after the copper treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
cplatts32

cplatts32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with Jay - what are you trying to accomplish? Additionally - why are you treating with Nitrofurazone? It is usually not a good idea to treat with 2 medications at the same time.
Because from what I researched (BRS), fish are prone to bacterial infections during this time and they recommended adding it in combination… is that wrong? He does have tiny holes that have worn on his top fin

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
cplatts32

cplatts32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because from what I researched (BRS), fish are prone to bacterial infections during this time and they recommended adding it in combination… is that wrong? He does have tiny holes that have worn on his top fin
I am trying to most effectively berid of the disease.

OP
OP
cplatts32

cplatts32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could see individual spots it is almost surely ich, not velvet. With velvet, you see rapid breathing and then death in a few days. In some cases, you may see some dusty skin, but not actual spots.

I wouldn't do the FW dip, it just adds to stress. Copper Power takes 72 hours to really start to work, and now that the fish is eating, it sounds like it is starting to recover.

You might consider a round of Prazipro on this fish, just to clear it of possible flukes, after the copper treatment.

Jay

Jay
I kind of misspoke when I said specs. Sorry. It was definitely that “dusty” skin you described, heavy breathing, coating looked very translucency and was like almost coming off it looked like? Fish were fine one day and then several dead the next

MnFish1

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to most effectively berid of the disease.
I'm not going to comment on what another site recommends - however our treatment protocol here does not make that recommendation. However, they also make several other recommendations that I'm not sure you're following (Like 100% water changes every 3 days), etc. Also (though I'm not exactly sure which protocol you're following - the one I read was for QT, as compared to the actual treatment of disease. Nitrofurazone has been suggested to decrease the effectiveness of copper - whether thats true or not - I'm not sure - just reporting what I read. (other reports say its fine - but nearly all of them recommend not using 2 drugs together unless absolutely required)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
cplatts32

cplatts32

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to comment on what another site recommends - however our treatment protocol here does not make that recommendation. However, they also make several other recommendations that I'm not sure you're following (Like 100% water changes every 3 days), etc. Also (though I'm not exactly sure which protocol you're following - the one I read was for QT, as compared to the actual treatment of disease. Nitrofurazone has been suggested to decrease the effectiveness of copper - whether thats true or not - I'm not sure - just reporting what I read. (other reports say its fine - but nearly all of them recommend not using 2 drugs together unless absolutely required)
Gotcha. Yes I was following the BRS recommendations. It is tough because there are so many different things on the internet.. I appreciate the input, sorry for mis wording ( he is in a “QT tank” but yes treatment for a disease. We are doing WC every three days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kind of misspoke when I said specs. Sorry. It was definitely that “dusty” skin you described, heavy breathing, coating looked very translucency and was like almost coming off it looked like? Fish were fine one day and then several dead the next

Full coppersafe at 2.5 ppm would be my suggestion here then. It could be velvet.

Jay

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Your Reef
Back