Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm aquiring a reef ready 150 gallon with an overflow tower already installed and bottom back outlet holes drilled already. I am buying this tank for 50$ because the owner can't figure out how to use the system and just wants it gone.

So I have money to play with here.

I'm curious, would you keep it as is with the Herbie configuration or would you plug those holes, remove the tower and put a ghost style top hole overflow system in the bean animal format?

Next question is about flow rates. Ok I'm thinking of doing a 1" system. Will that flow rate of 2440 be enough for a 150? I've never owned anything this big and I'm intimidated slightly. I plan to have a 55 gallon sump I'm putting together.

Pump, I'm thinking of going with an ecotech DC pump that has a flow rate exceeding the overflow capacity.

Any help would be awesome!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave Logo Banner

fishyjoes

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for 1" pipe, you don't need super high flow through the sump. I've commonly seen recommendations for around 3-5X turnover through the sump (so somewhere around 150 * 3 = 450 to 150 * 5 = 750 gallons per hour).
Then you use power heads to get more flow in the display.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like those internal towers and I've drilled tanks before, so I would remove it and install something like a modular marine overflow. You could plug the bottom bulkheads or even use them for closed loop. Depends on how much you like to DIY.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back