Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wanting to get into the water change debate pro or con. My question is strictly for those who don't change water or rarely. Why? What made your decision? Time constraints, costs , parameter stability, bad experiences, etc? What are the positives that you have observed?

Nutramar Foods

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a series of BRS where randy mentioned to think of when calcium carbonate is being used and the calcium is uptaked by corals the carbonate is left. Then you keep pumping more calcium carbonate so what’s happening to the carbonate just piling up in your tank as well as other things you’re not testing for.

I do it for the sake of the fish and corals. It’s like giving them a nice clean bath. That golden rule 4 years later is working like a charm “10% weekly”

Top Shelf Aquatics

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These systems we set up should last years if not decades or centuries. Considering the multitude of stuff that can build up we can't test for I don't see how anyone can keep a reef system or corals healthy for their noraml life expectanices without water changes.

Dburr1014

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not wanting to get into the water change debate pro or con. My question is strictly for those who don't change water or rarely. Why? What made your decision? Time constraints, costs , parameter stability, bad experiences, etc? What are the positives that you have observed?
I wasn't doing them becuase it became a chore.
Now I am AWC.
Tank is much better.
It's what's not being taken out and what's being put in, for the WC's.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have resumed daily water changes which keeps levels in check and replenishes trace elements. I did not for over 3 years as I have large tanks which are forgiving based on water volume and with daily amount of evaporation, I just added RODI water to compensate and added traces manually

geeked

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people argue that it stops things from building up but it doesn't. If you're doing 100% every month, then yes, maybe it does. But somehow people think 25% per week equals 100% in a month. That isn't how percentages work. 25% per week still is 25% of the total water per month. I think water changes are a waste of time. It will never decrease build up nor help replenish trace elements. Easiest way for me to think of it is putting up 20% of your check every two weeks is still only 20% of the total amount earned.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people argue that it stops things from building up but it doesn't. If you're doing 100% every month, then yes, maybe it does. But somehow people think 25% per week equals 100% in a month. That isn't how percentages work. 25% per week still is 25% of the total water per month. I think water changes are a waste of time. It will never decrease build up nor help replenish trace elements. Easiest way for me to think of it is putting up 20% of your check every two weeks is still only 20% of the total amount earned.
I notice you don’t keep a build thread and you’re new here. Let’s see your no water change tank. Is it nice and thriving?

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the end, you will surely work harder and spend more money not to change water that to do so. I am talking about if you do things like test, add or otherwise maintain your tank. Of course, doing nothing is cheap and easy, but I don't think that anybody recommends that for the long term.

Anybody can have a nice tank while doing nothing or not changing water for a while. It is a bad strategy long term unless you adopt one of the methodologies like DSR, or the many more. This is where I get into the cost and time above... DSR, moonshiners or whatever, is not free or takes no time.

I change water because I am cheap and lazy. $200 gallons of salt is cheaper than 1 ICP test...and mre like 400 gallons of salt mix. I used to have Z&P tanks and some of the tougher varieties would melt when I would go 3-4 months of not changing water - traces, most likely. A quick water change would perk everything back up. Water changes alone are very much likely to replenish all the traces that you need if you are regular about it. In my acropora tanks, I have a CaRx, change water and dose nothing else (I do dose Iron for chaeto). This has worked for more than 25 years since I got into acropora and got a CaRx.

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people argue that it stops things from building up but it doesn't.
I think you’re doing mental gymnastics to try and justify your point. Some of the most epic nano and midsize tanks I’ve ever seen that were throwing insane colors on corals are changing water weekly sometimes 2 times a week. The bigger tanks that aren’t doing water changes or infrequent water changes are spending a good amount of money on additive systems like moonshiners method, and the KZ one and whatever the other brands or methods are. They’re all pretty expensive. Plus they have an insane amount of expensive equipment.

BRS

geeked

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re doing mental gymnastics to try and justify your point. Some of the most epic nano and midsize tanks I’ve ever seen that were throwing insane colors on corals are changing water weekly sometimes 2 times a week. The bigger tanks that aren’t doing water changes or infrequent water changes are spending a good amount of money on additive systems like moonshiners method, and the KZ one and whatever the other brands or methods are. They’re all pretty expensive. Plus they have an insane amount of expensive equipment.
Not really that difficult to out pace build up in smaller tanks. As long as you out pace the build up doing bigger water changes, it could be effective

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we are talking about a nano, then if you cannot afford the money or time to change water, then please find a different hobby and leave these poor creatures to somebody else to care for. Nobody has to change water, but you have to do the same things that it would have done if you do not. This is just too easy and cheap to do in a nano. One way or another, the time and money is required or stuff suffers in the long term. In a nano, a $32 box of 200 gallons of salt could last years or a lifetime.

geeked

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice you don’t keep a build thread and you’re new here. Let’s see your no water change tank. Is it nice and thriving?
Btw I never said i don't do water changes. I enjoy doing huge water changes at 50% per week. I like to drain my aquarium like a low tide. I also like the manual labor of water changes. easy for me, my aquarium is only 60 gallons

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a series of BRS where randy mentioned to think of when calcium carbonate is being used and the calcium is uptaked by corals the carbonate is left. Then you keep pumping more calcium carbonate so what’s happening to the carbonate just piling up in your tank as well as other things you’re not testing for.

I do it for the sake of the fish and corals. It’s like giving them a nice clean bath. That golden rule 4 years later is working like a charm “10% weekly”

I think you must mean calcium chloride.

I agree with things you cannot test for, but that particular issue is eliminated as a concern if you use Balling Part C with a DIY two part, or a true balanced two part like ESV.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people argue that it stops things from building up but it doesn't.

Sure it does. I just posted this today in a different thread:

Those small bits removed add up for things that are long lasting (and maybe slow building) in the tank.

This is a sort of generic math model of what can happen to anything that starts at 100 (any units), and slowly accumulates with no water changes, or declines with 7.5, 15, and 30% monthly water changes. The effect after a few months can be quite dramatic.

1683135005149.png

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have resumed daily water changes which keeps levels in check and replenishes trace elements. I did not for over 3 years as I have large tanks which are forgiving based on water volume and with daily amount of evaporation, I just added RODI water to compensate and added traces manually
How many gallons do you change out daily on your large tanks?

newreef1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it does. I just posted this today in a different thread:

Those small bits removed add up for things that are long lasting (and maybe slow building) in the tank.

This is a sort of generic math model of what can happen to anything that starts at 100 (any units), and slowly accumulates with no water changes, or declines with 7.5, 15, and 30% monthly water changes. The effect after a few months can be quite dramatic.

View attachment 3133895
What% WC do you recommend for a 200 gallon tank for monthly WC. I like doing WC, but honestly every week is difficult, I typically do about 25% every 3-4 weeks so like once a month. What would you suggest?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back