Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RBTA split about a year ago. I don’t want a 2nd anemone. She’s been stinging my corals and is taking up a lot of space I can use for new coral.

LFS recommended pointing a power head at it in hopes it would move to the glass and I could get her then. That hasn’t worked. Have had a mj1200 power head blowing directly on her for about a yr and she hasn’t moved.

Another LFS recommended surrounding it in pvc pipe in hopes she will go into pipe to move towards the light at other end of pipe. I’m trying that starting today. Here is a pick...

Comments, ideas, or suggestions appreciated.

694BEBB6-A8AD-422F-90CE-25AA6078DD7B.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that doesn’t work you can try to use a screw driver or similar and try gently breaking the live rock where it is taking up residence. You may be able to break off a piece of the rock where the base is attached. I’ve done this before with success.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
JustAnt

JustAnt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting idea. The only thing I would worry about is if the pvc is too close to the rocks and there is no room for water to circulate into the pipe then the water in the pipe could get stagnant.

Because of the unevenness of the rock it’s not a 100% flush fit so I think the water is circulating. But you raise a good point for me to watch out for. Thanks.

Avast

biecacka

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went thru this. I took my whole rock to my LFS and he used a band saw to cut off the section the anemone was attached too. We tried ice cubes, fingers, credit cards, and resorted to cutting it. 10 seconds and done.

Corey

AquaCave Logo Banner

CindyKz

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trick that worked for me once was to take the rock out of the tank and kind of balance it over the top of a bucket of tank water with the tentacles hanging down into the bucket so they just brush the surface of the water. In theory, the 'nem will let go and drop into the water. I did have one stubborn 'nem that hung on for over 4 hours - that's when I pulled out the dremel tool and cut the rock.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you share a top down? What about getting some black plexiglass and making a roof to shield the light. Maybe if you take it's light away he'll follow? Even make black plexi box pace it upside down on the em so it can crawl out but can't get light unless if crawls out.

Usually the cold spoon on the foot works, I feel your frustration.

OP
OP
JustAnt

JustAnt

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i tried ice b4 and it did nothing but I just tried ice again and still nothing.

Also tried a frozen spoon and no effect. I start using the spoon to try to scrape the foot off but I think I injured it bc it started ti release a slime. And the foot was so deep I couldn’t get it all so it’s still there.

shred5

5000 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trick that worked for me once was to take the rock out of the tank and kind of balance it over the top of a bucket of tank water with the tentacles hanging down into the bucket so they just brush the surface of the water. In theory, the 'nem will let go and drop into the water. I did have one stubborn 'nem that hung on for over 4 hours - that's when I pulled out the dremel tool and cut the rock.

When attached to a rock this is the only thing that has worked for me.

You have to grab the rock when the Anemone is fully expanded, if deflated they wont release. It is the weight of the water that makes them slowly release.
I have tried the other methods and no go unless on the glass.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about lowering your water level so it stays out of water for a long period of time? Add air pump and flow to remaining water in Display. Leave it as long as possible and see if release it's foot to crawl down.

Never mind, I thought the one you didn't want was up top. Now I realize it's under that PVC rig lol

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Black Label Aquatics
Back