Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I found about this stuff from another thread I saw on here and read up on it and it sounds like it can help me. I always have super low, almost 0 Ns and Ps and wanted to attempt to feed my corals. Now that I have it in front of me I am super nervous to use it and I am scared to screw my water chemistry up. Like I said I have almost 0 phosphate when I test on either Hanna or Nyos test kit and on the RS and Salifert Nitrate test the water is hardly pink. I do have some GHA here and there that I have been pulling by hand (finger) almost daily so obviously my tank has N&P its just the GHA is using it up. Anyone use this product? can anyone offer advice? Like all things I put into my tank I am going to start half dose and take it slow but I would like to hear what others have been doing. I have a 9 month old RSR 250 mixed reef. would this product make the GHA I do have explode in growth?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what it looks like

46D841CD-7C57-4F98-A9F5-D669202897C6.jpeg

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that that one is designed to lower N and P, not supply it.

There’s another one called Plus NP that supplies it.
Oh hell I just noticed that I ordered the wrong one! That’s what I get for not paying attention And ordering while I’m at work dang it but at least you caught that for me I guess we will have to exchange it for the plus then

OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that that one is designed to lower N and P, not supply it.

There’s another one called Plus NP that supplies it.
So now I am confused. What I am getting from this is that this prouduct will reduce water born N’s and P’s but allow a nitrate and phosphate Source for corals??? Please help me understand I am from the South! HaHa! I would like to just keep this and not return if it is something I can use.

7BB2426C-C31D-471E-97D3-4F8EC97F9BAC.jpeg

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I am confused. What I am getting from this is that this prouduct will reduce water born N’s and P’s but allow a nitrate and phosphate Source for corals??? Please help me understand I am from the South! HaHa! I would like to just keep this and not return if it is something I can use.

View attachment 1286110

I don’t think it’ll take your N and P to zero, just really close :)

I’m from the south, also, so id get a second opinion first.

Either way it’ll wind up useful if the other one goes south on you and your N and P get too high.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Waynerock

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think it’ll take your N and P to zero, just really close :)

I’m from the south, also, so id get a second opinion first.

Either way it’ll wind up useful if the other one goes south on you and your N and P get too high.
Thanks for the help man Appreciate ya!

Corals.com

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacto Balance discussion
This may shed some light on the subject. I'm currently using Elimi-NP, but also have Bacto Balance just in case my PO4 gets too low. Hans-Werner Balling explains the difference between the two and how they work. I have a calcium reactor, so the Elimi-NP is design for calcium reactors, which have a steady supply of PO4 through the dissolved media.

BRS

RmSchuh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old thread but I have been using np bacto balance for about 2 months or more I had 25 no3 and po4 usually around .05-.08. Check with Hannah pho’s url ppb and Nyos nitrate it really hasn’t lowered my nitrate much went from 25 to about 20. I also have elimi np and I have been wanting to use that with bacto balance to help lower it even more would like to get 5-10 on nitrate. You say it’s for systems with calcium reactor I have read that to you think it would be fine on a system using brs 2 part.
Bacto Balance discussion
This may shed some light on the subject. I'm currently using Elimi-NP, but also have Bacto Balance just in case my PO4 gets too low. Hans-Werner Balling explains the difference between the two and how they work. I have a calcium reactor, so the Elimi-NP is design for calcium reactors, which have a steady supply of PO4 through the dissolved media.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say it’s for systems with calcium reactor I have read that to you think it would be fine on a system using brs 2 part.

I personally do not think that has meaning.

I'm not sure bacto balance is any better than other organic dosing brands or DIY, but it seems a fine thing to try.

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this is a old thread but I have been using np bacto balance for about 2 months or more I had 25 no3 and po4 usually around .05-.08. Check with Hannah pho’s url ppb and Nyos nitrate it really hasn’t lowered my nitrate much went from 25 to about 20. I also have elimi np and I have been wanting to use that with bacto balance to help lower it even more would like to get 5-10 on nitrate. You say it’s for systems with calcium reactor I have read that to you think it would be fine on a system using brs 2 part.
I think your PO4 is in a pretty good range, so unless you're having issues with algae, I wouldn't worry too much. Are you dosing the maximum amount of bacto balance? Elimi-NP really targets PO4, so I don't think it will help much here. Have you considered adding some bacteria? I just started to use PNS Probio myself, but have read some positive reviews. Also, do you have any room in your sump for bio media or live rock? If so, then I would add a little, which will increase the amount of surface area for beneficial bacteria to populate.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

RmSchuh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So currently I am using full dosage amount of tropic Marin bacto balance I slowly ramped up. My system is 125 gallon sps dominant reef bare bottom, I have about 70 pounds of rock. I have brightwell bio bricks both no3 reducing bricks. Current stock list is 3 tangs 4 clowns 2 chromes 1 flasher wrasse. I wanted to use bacto balance because of it’s safe use and not being able to completely strip nutrients. I really would like to achieve lower nutrients to bring out more vibrant colors in my reef tank. Iv heard of the bacteria your talking about from melv. I’ll look into trying that in conjunction with bacto balance.
I think your PO4 is in a pretty good range, so unless you're having issues with algae, I wouldn't worry too much. Are you dosing the maximum amount of bacto balance? Elimi-NP really targets PO4, so I don't think it will help much here. Have you considered adding some bacteria? I just started to use PNS Probio myself, but have read some positive reviews. Also, do you have any room in your sump for bio media or live rock? If so, then I would add a little, which will increase the amount of surface area for beneficial bacteria to populate.

minus9

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So currently I am using full dosage amount of tropic Marin bacto balance I slowly ramped up. My system is 125 gallon sps dominant reef bare bottom, I have about 70 pounds of rock. I have brightwell bio bricks both no3 reducing bricks. Current stock list is 3 tangs 4 clowns 2 chromes 1 flasher wrasse. I wanted to use bacto balance because of it’s safe use and not being able to completely strip nutrients. I really would like to achieve lower nutrients to bring out more vibrant colors in my reef tank. Iv heard of the bacteria your talking about from melv. I’ll look into trying that in conjunction with bacto balance.
Have you looked into the reef moonshiners program? I recently started implementing the method and the colors are becoming more intense and vibrant. If anything, read Andre's free handbook found here, also his color guide book, which is only a couple bucks, is worth the read as well.
Reef Moonshiners Handbook

Top Shelf Aquatics

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Bacto balance is more of product to maintain levels. It's not the type of product you want to use to knock high levels down.

It would be better to use vineger/vodka mix or NOPOX first. These will knock your nitrates down in month or so. They work better as straight nitrate reducers.
Po4 is at a good level, so you need to keep an eye on that, but it's not as likely to bottom completely out.

Once your nitrates are much lower you can use Bacto balance and it is supposed to keep levels stable/balanced without you having to dose nitrate or phosphate. It also has K elements in it so there is no need to dose any of the elements that product provides.

Bacto balance and elimi NP(doesn't have K elements) are designed for you to be able to run very low levels of nutrients without them completely bottoming out.

mshur

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacto balance is more of product to maintain levels. It's not the type of product you want to use to knock high levels down.

It would be better to use vineger/vodka mix or NOPOX first. These will knock your nitrates down in month or so. They work better as straight nitrate reducers.
Po4 is at a good level, so you need to keep an eye on that, but it's not as likely to bottom completely out.

Once your nitrates are much lower you can use Bacto balance and it is supposed to keep levels stable/balanced without you having to dose nitrate or phosphate. It also has K elements in it so there is no need to dose any of the elements that product provides.

Bacto balance and elimi NP(doesn't have K elements) are designed for you to be able to run very low levels of nutrients without them completely bottoming out.
I know its a old topic but i woul dike to ask you since you have been using this product. Do you think this product will work together with algea scrubber to maintain lower concentration of PO4?.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
LA
Back