Tips & Tricks for 55 Gal+ Tank Water changes?

cpalminteri

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 13.5 evo which is easy as can be to do water changes but the 55 Gal can be a pain. Do you guys just fill 2/3 5 Gallon buckets and change it that way and have 3 more for waste? I'm trying to make this as seamless as possible for me. Also any tips for getting the new water from the bucket on the floor to the aquarium on the stand? I bought a pump but it seems to be too strong and blows the new water into the tank kicking up sand. The other way I do it using a little container and scooping a little at a time but that creates a saltwater on the floor mess. Any tips would be much appreciated! I usually take out 10 gallons (2 buckets designated for dirty water) and then use 2- 5 Gallons with fresh water. Eventually will have to upgrade to at least 120 for my tang so I wanted to start being efficient now.

CLICK TO VIEW

tritonpower

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long python connected to my sink to remove the water. Then a 20 gallon Brut trash can on wheels (get at Lowes/Home depot) with pump inside. I use the pump to mix the salt water with a heater. Then roll this to the tank and pump in the new water. Aim at the front panel and it tends to not affect the sand. Or aim at a large rock. NO BUCKETS!

landlubber

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the best things i did was running lines to a 35 gallon water tank that collects my RODI for top off water to fill my ato reservoir and then on water change day becomes my mixing station and is all pump driven.

Top Shelf Aquatics

BartMan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ha e 2 10 gallon brute cans and a dolly. I roll 10 gal of SW to the tank, sit it off the dolly, sit the other brute on the dolly, siphon out 10 gal, drop a pump w/ tubing into new SW brute and pump into display

OP
OP
C

cpalminteri

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long python connected to my sink to remove the water. Then a 20 gallon Brut trash can on wheels (get at Lowes/Home depot) with pump inside. I use the pump to mix the salt water with a heater. Then roll this to the tank and pump in the new water. Aim at the front panel and it tends to not affect the sand. Or aim at a large rock. NO BUCKETS!
To mix the salt are you just not connecting the tubing to the pump? And then connecting it when using the pump to push the new water into tank?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Floyd-

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same, (2) 32 gallon brutes. One for RODI and one for salt mix. I use a small pond pump with hose and pump water out of the tank into my sink then drop the pump into my brute can in the garage and top the tank back off. I dont deal with buckets anymore.

tritonpower

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To mix the salt are you just not connecting the tubing to the pump? And then connecting it when using the pump to push the new water into tank?
I have a vivosun 800 GPH pump with a long tube (6ish feet) connected. I use some suction clamps to keep it in a circle in the brut can with the tip aimed towards the bottom of the can. I run it to mix the saltwater. I then release the suction clamps when time to add water to the tank using the same tubing. If that makes sense. It really helps to use an extension cord with a foot pedal to click the vivosun off/on since both of your hands are usually busy.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
NY
Back