+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

Will be moving to a new location next weekend, only a 3-hour drive away.
I have a small 10g mixed reef that is 6 months old. It has 20+ frags, 2 clownfish, cleaner shrimp, and CUC.
Corals are still small frags and still attacked by frag plugs that are glued to live rock. (easily removed)

The tank is being maintained by a HOB filter and HOB skimmer.
1.5" sandbed.

Any tips for moving the tank?
Can I just remove 50% of the water to a bucket, and put the tank in the car, then replace the water when I get back?
My current plan is below, but not sure if this is overkill or not:

1. Drain as much water as possible, getting as close to the sand bed as I can, without siphoning the sand out. Drain the water into 2 different 5-gallon buckets.
2. Remove frags from rocks and place frags into frag traveling containers, bags, etc.
3. Put all live rock into 5-gallon bucket, with CUC.
4. Put both fish and shrimp into the second 5-gallon bucket with one piece of live rock (has all my zoas on it that can't be easily removed)
5. throw everything in the car
6. Drive for 3 hours and unload everything back to how it was, refilling the tank with the same water that was removed.

Does this sound fine? Any other suggestions to make it go as smoothly as possible? The tank is finally starting to get some good growth and I want to make the move as seamless as I can.

World Wide Corals

Townes_Van_Camp

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your sand underwater. Have MORE water than you think you need mixed and ready to go at a moments notice. Buy food safe sterilite containers for rocks entrusted with coral. Use old fish bags puffed with air as spacers to keep SPS/lps right side up. Maybe have a spare return pump and heater just in case.

Top Shelf Aquatics
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back