Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank glass is 90 cm high... I use long Tunze tongs with the grip at the end (get two in case you drop one!). A dive mask helps you see into the water from above better.

And something high to stand on so you lean over the tank.

It does make things more complicated. But for me it's worth it: I love the extra dimension you get with the top to bottom depth.
I am fully prepared to put on my snorkel gear whenever I need to do maintenance. Cant agree more with having the extra dimensions worth the pain in maintenance.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Gundy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of being out of the hobby, I have now retired and am in the process of setting up a reef tank. At first I thought about building a 100 gallon system and had a budget of about 10K. I am now building a 350 gallon system and between the tank, stand and sump, I have spent about 8K. With the equipment I have planned, I’m sure it will be another 10-15K.

Through my research, I have learned from others that spending a lot money on setting up a reef is not a must for success. However, purchasing various types of equipment can make it easier to maintain a large tank and avoid a lot of situations such as algae blooms, fish disease and nutrient imbalance. That why I am employing equipment that is automated like the Apex and quality products like a UV sterilizer, calcium reactor, clarisea filters and automatic water changes, etc . Yes, it will cost a lot of money but I want to spend more time enjoying my reef than fixing problems. Many have said it takes a lot of money to do it right and I agree.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does take alot of money to do it right but... I personally feel like going fully automated takes away from the actual hobby part. I enjoy dosing and doing water changes on my 3 systems. I enjoy doing the dirty work. If I wanted to just look at fish I could just go to a public aquarium. Doing the work is part of enjoying the success. It takes me away from the stress of running a small business in uncertain times. I can lose myself for hours doing mundane tasks like mixing salt and cleaning sumps.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Gundy

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree, I love tinkering, cleaning and the maintenance part of the hobby. I just want to avoid the problems that cause devastating consequences like constant coral and fish loss. With the help of advanced equipment, maintaining a large reef tank will be considerably easier and the automation from the Apex system will be really fun to set up and monitor.

Emma_fish

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy the best equipment you cannot afford. This is an investment , so Invest in it !!
Due to volume, a doser is a must
Have Brute cans- youre going to need it.
Stock up on salt- Again, you will need it.
Plan lighting well as you will need effective coverage from lights.
Utilize ball valve. . . they are much needed
Assure tank is Level. Impossible to move once filled.
Have aquarium tongs !! Youre going to need them !

Tongs

View attachment 1797612
Where can I buy tongs like those ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
BRS

1ocean

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we started a 300 build in Dec 2021, as of today 25k in...glad I got my 4 radion Gen 5 xr30 blues before the price increase...along with most of everything...and we do not believe in the credit card evil bank stuff....credit cards are bad...

Last edited:
Nutramar Foods

natew

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical:

better to have dedicated circuits just for the aquarium and its equipment.

if I go 400 on the next build, or even 300, I’ll Be pulling 2-4 20 amp service just for the tank. Even with my 200 now, it should have been done It’s nice not to have to worry about plugging in a high amp device (vacuum or electric pressure washer for example) on the same circuit as your tank.
I ran circuits for my 300 so i wouldnt have to worry 1 return pump and heater each of the 2 circuits that way if one blows still have heat and circulation. Total ran 6 dedicated lines

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens
Back