Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of tiny bubble algae imbedded in rocks? I have a 310gl tank and all of my rock is covered with tiny bubble algae. I have 4 tangs and a majestic fox face that will not touch them. I bought 6 emerald crabs and I don’t think they are doing anything with them. My nitrates are 5-10 and phosphates are .07.
IMG_6673.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my foxface finally decided to start eating it I would attach a piece of tubing to a big metal straw that I got on Amazon and would just siphon bubble algae into a filter sock in my sump. The straw made it easy to free the bubbles from the rock so they could be filtered out.

You won’t be able to completely get rid of all bubble algae this way but it makes it easy to keep it from growing out of control.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also syphon mine out with rigid plastic tubing connected to flex tubing. I never eradicate it but can easily keep it from taking over.

Avast

Jaxie

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure I am supposed to be posting on someone elses post, but I have the same problem with bubble algae infestation. I am new and i don't have any corals on the rocks yet that I can't move. So could I just take the rock out and wash it? What do I use to remove the bubble algae and return the rock to the tank so that I don't kill my fish or my 4 frags that are waiting for a home on an algae free rock?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Borat

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont waste your time, efforts and money (you already did by buying foxface and emerald crabs) - use Flukonazole or Vibrant. Bubble algae is the worst of all other pests..

Run a full treatment length + another 2-3 weeks even as you see that all bubble algae disappeared. And in the future - if you see a bubble somewhere on the rock, take the whole rock out and sterilise it (acid/hot water - whatever is need to kill algae), don't pop bubbles - it's really a bad idea.

Last edited:
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back