Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, first time posting. I couldn’t wait for my reef tank so I’ve been keeping a 1.5 gallon bowl to collect macroalgae. Bowls been running for a month and noticed this tiny guy. There’s no heater, no feeding, only fertilizer for the algae. There is a ton of copepods.
What do you think this is? Doesn’t look like the dreaded aiptasia.
9064FDD3-7362-44E4-A51C-00764D6173AC.jpeg

6D0C6367-B0F2-4D4E-8EE0-610579402621.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
Top Shelf Aquatics
CLICK TO VIEW
Top Shelf Aquatics

Soren

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, first time posting. I couldn’t wait for my reef tank so I’ve been keeping a 1.5 gallon bowl to collect macroalgae. Bowls been running for a month and noticed this tiny guy. There’s no heater, no feeding, only fertilizer for the algae. There is a ton of copepods.
What do you think this is? Doesn’t look like the dreaded aiptasia.
View attachment 3043720
View attachment 3043723
What is your source for items in the tank? This reminds me of lightbulb anemones found on my Florida Gulf live rock, which look somewhat similar to Aiptasia but are not harmful or very prolific. Your anemone seems to have the fatter "lightbulb-shaped" tentacles and white bands on the tentacles, which seem to indicate other than Aiptasia.

OP
OP
Cowrabbit

Cowrabbit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your source for items in the tank? This reminds me of lightbulb anemones found on my Florida Gulf live rock, which look somewhat similar to Aiptasia but are not harmful or very prolific. Your anemone seems to have the fatter "lightbulb-shaped" tentacles and white bands on the tentacles, which seem to indicate other than Aiptasia.
Oh wow it looks very similar to lightbulb anemones, it's got banded legs. I hope the poor little thing survives my even smaller no-circulation quarantine bowl. It's a cute little peachy thing, said every beginner reefer :grinning-face-with-sweat:
IMG-5213.jpg

I got the common 4 (ulva, gracilaria, dragons breath, cheato) from a reef shop. I only added the live rock yesterday from the reef shop cause it had a little piece of sponge.

Now the rest .... I collected from the Pacific beaches. So far I know I have a couple copepod species and skeleton shrimp.

My plan is for a macroalgae focus tank, but I do love plating montipora. It's going to be a high-nutrient tank, I'll definitely have to do more research whenthe time comes.
IMG-5212.jpg

OP
OP
Cowrabbit

Cowrabbit

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is now in its own micro container. I don’t know what it is so I couldn’t kill it. The foot is in one of those holes on the rock. I’ve been feeding it live & frozen brine shrimp. It’s been a fine desk buddy :grinning-face-with-sweat:.

4D0A86EF-ED49-4DA8-A582-0327152639B4.jpeg

AquaCave Logo Banner

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back