Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read around a bit see others having same sps issues with high levels of tin. Nothing is rusted. Only thing high is tin. I recently added a UV and used braided tubing. IDK if that's the issue. Long story short how can remove tin from tank besides water changes.

AS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read around a bit see others having same sps issues with high levels of tin. Nothing is rusted. Only thing high is tin. I recently added a UV and used braided tubing. IDK if that's the issue. Long story short how can remove tin from tank besides water changes.

What is the tin level?

Tin is hard to nail down for export as it can take many different chemical forms. GAC may work for some forms.

AS

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think carbon will remove tin along with other heavy metals.

While that is likely the case, I would be wary of extrapolating info known to the freshwater and wastewater worlds to seawater where the competition for interaction with the GAC from the ions and organics in seawater is very high. For example, it is known that increasing salt concentration reduces the binding of cadmium to GAC:

John Bolden

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that is likely the case, I would be wary of extrapolating info known to the freshwater and wastewater worlds to seawater where the competition for interaction with the GAC from the ions and organics in seawater is very high. For example, it is known that increasing salt concentration reduces the binding of cadmium to GAC:

Wow I didn't know that thank you for explaining.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer4fun

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year, I did an ICP test that showed TIN at 74.7ug/l in a WB Cube 25. I was not able to keep even Montiporas (Bubblegum Digi, monti caps, etc). Reading through other posts I put my attention in some soft tubing that I had. I replaced an old blue tubing used to dose Kalk for a silicone one. I also removed an Eheim canister filter including its green tubing. I kept doing large water changes(25%). I'm still due sending a follow-up ICP test but I haven't done it because my 2nd batch of Montiporas are now growing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.24.... And that's my problem everything browns and dies with time. I do have soft tubing from the UV

13 ppb?

While I cannot say it isn’t that, many folks have reported higher tin without apparent issue.

Top Shelf Aquatics
Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also had elevated tin from soft tubing at my RODI system. I replaced it and the tin is now gone.
I have plastic tubing from rodi and soft tubing for UV I'm making assuming it's from soft tubing because my last tank didn't give me the UV with rodi system

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alexander1312

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am most concerned about the Tin value, which does seem to stay at that level over the past 3 ICP tests in the past few months. I have one metal bar that holds the rock together in the middle, could this be the issue? I bought this it at the LFS and they are using this across many of their tanks.

Any views if this is a problem. I have relatively good growth, nothing is dying, everything is healthy but I feel something is still holding back more growth. Also, curious if the iron value is acceptable or should be lower.

Appreciate any views on these three values. Thanks!

IMG_0781.jpeg IMG_0780.jpeg IMG_0779.jpeg

Last edited:
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Heres_doe_

Heres_doe_

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am most concerned about the Tin value, which does seem to stay at that level over the past 3 ICP tests in the past few months. I have one metal bar that holds the rock together in the middle, could this be the issue? I bought this it at the LFS and they are using this across many of their tanks.

Any views if this is a problem. I have relatively good growth, nothing is dying, everything is healthy but I feel something is still holding back more growth. Also, curious if the iron value is acceptable or should be lower.

View attachment 3136921 View attachment 3136922 View attachment 3136923
I honestly started dosing trace elements and I think being depleted was my problem all corals doing a million times better and I can finally grow acros

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View attachment 3136921 View attachment 3136922 View attachment 3136923

I do not think it likely that tin at that level is causing apparent issue in a reef tank. it is impossible to say with certainty since ICP doesn't reveal what the chemical forms are, but generally speaking, folks with levels like that have not reported problems.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Champion Lighting & Supply
Back