Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the time has come to start getting fishies for me tank. I have come up with a few fish that I would like to add to my eventual reef tank. I wanted to know if I should add them all at once or phase them in. I came up with the following for my beginner list:
Cardinal Fish 2
Yellow Tang 1
Coral Beauty Angel 1
Clownfish 2
Fire Goby 1
Whatchman Goby 2
Blue Chromis 4
Vlamingi Tang 1
Bubble tip anemone 1

125 RR 72 x 18 x 22
(2) JEBAO SW15
temp: 78F

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the time has come to start getting fishies for me tank. I have come up with a few fish that I would like to add to my eventual reef tank. I wanted to know if I should add them all at once or phase them in. I came up with the following for my beginner list:
Cardinal Fish 2
Yellow Tang 1
Coral Beauty Angel 1
Clownfish 2
Fire Goby 1
Whatchman Goby 2
Blue Chromis 4
Vlamingi Tang 1
Bubble tip anemone 1

125 RR 72 x 18 x 22
(2) JEBAO SW15
temp: 78F
Add fish in stages. Start with small peaceful fish, such as the firefish and cardinals. Finish with the angel and tangs.

A Vlamingi tang will outgrow a 125.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Carlon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add fish in stages. Start with small peaceful fish, such as the firefish and cardinals. Finish with the angel and tangs.

A Vlamingi tang will outgrow a 125.
I was thinking of doing that exact thing but include the other 2 gobies. I had a Vlamingi before and I love to watch them so I plan on keeping one in the tank and just trading them to my LFS once they outgrow the tank.

OP
OP
C

Carlon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whats the plan for quarantine here, a couple fish every 75 days eh
My LFS offers quarantine services for a nominal fee. I plan on using that instead of having another tank in my house. 75 days seems kind of long. I was thinking more along the lines of 6 weeks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think of denitrifing bacteria as a city. A larger city uses more resources than a small one and it's inhabitants use more food than a small town. It also has a bigger infrastructure.

If you haven't been adding an ammonia source, than your bacteria haven't been given enough food to support a large population. If you add all the fish at once you overload the capacity of your bacteria to convert the ammonia. By adding in stages you allow the bacteria population to grow gradually and sustainably.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
C

Carlon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would a better course of action be to increase amount of rock and add ammonia source (another cycle) and then add fish? I don't want to have to worry much about fish fighting and stress death which is why I would rather add them all at once.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually is less stressful on the fish to add the peaceful ones first and allow them to get established before adding more assertive ones.

Firefish and gobies early. Angel and tangs last.

Tautog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, Damsels are a cheap schooling fish, Chromis that I started with still swim, I'm just at 2 yrs old.
I started with Live Rock, and my tank never cycled, but I also added about 15 fish, and added Day/Night solution, 1 cap everyday, 180 gal tank

Eva Rose

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually is less stressful on the fish to add the peaceful ones first and allow them to get established before adding more assertive ones.
Firefish and gobies early. Angel and tangs last.
Following his advice* is key to enjoying all your tank inhabitants. To me it's often your peaceful fish (like your gobies) that can be the most entertaining. If they get that time to establish, you're rewarded to see all your fish out in your tank. Otherwise you run risks of hiding, bullying etc. So this plan* is less stressful on you as well as the fish.
My tank is very peaceful. I followed this advice of adding peaceful fish 1st and adding them in stages. Adding in stages is also more fun! You can look forward those phases of adding more fish.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
C

Carlon

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added my first fish today. 1 red lip blenny and 1 5 line wrasse. Ordered dry rock from BRS so that by the time that's cured it will be time to add more fish.

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Neptune
Back