Thread for identifying livestock? And/or ... identification app?

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of a "forum usage" question. ;-) As a newbie, I'm going to see critters popping up from my live rock, and I'd like to know what they are. Is there one thread that is used for identification? I searched but couldn't really find one that seemed to be dedicated to that purpose.

OK, a second question. Does anyone know of a smartphone app that does aquatic species identification? Like they have them for birds, plants etc..

Thanks in advance.

AS

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is kind of a "forum usage" question. ;-) As a newbie, I'm going to see critters popping up from my live rock, and I'd like to know what they are. Is there one thread that is used for identification? I searched but couldn't really find one that seemed to be dedicated to that purpose.

OK, a second question. Does anyone know of a smartphone app that does aquatic species identification? Like they have them for birds, plants etc..

Thanks in advance.

Google is your best friend for identification. Or simply post in the forum above and you'll have about 15 reefers fighting over whos right lol.

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Google is your best friend for identification. Or simply post in the forum above and you'll have about 15 reefers fighting over whos right lol.
I actually have attempted to use Google, both via a reverse image search and describing the critter. Tough to do. Thanks for the link.

CLICK TO VIEW

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have attempted to use Google, both via a reverse image search and describing the critter. Tough to do. Thanks for the link.
I agree it can be difficult but the more you are able to identify certain species the easier it is to cross reference from what you already know.

The biggest thing that makes image searching so difficult is the corals can grow wildly different in another tank.

OP
OP
Dave Clark

Dave Clark

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it can be difficult but the more you are able to identify certain species the easier it is to cross reference from what you already know.

The biggest thing that makes image searching so difficult is the corals can grow wildly different in another tank.
Understood. Thank you for your help.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back