Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for experiences with large diameter cylinder tanks. 60" or greater diameter.
Pros? Cons?
At this larger diameter, how bad is the distortion?
Would you buy it again?

AquaCave Logo Banner

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have personal experience outside of the public aquariums. I have always loved how they look, but I don't think I could get over the curved distortion if I had one inside the home. It would definitely not be as big as an aquarium one, so I would imagine the distortion to be even worse.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 I want one.
#2 The bigger it is, the less distortion you'll have. BUT, the tank would have to remain shallow to avoid having to use thicker acrylic, which would cause distortion.
The one I'm looking at is 60" diameter and 20" tall. Rimless, which is a priority for me.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one I'm looking at is 60" diameter and 20" tall. Rimless, which is a priority for me.
Scripps aquarium has a bunch of cylinder tanks around that size. There's some distortion for sure. I think you'd need a tank swimming pool-sized to avoid that. It's all about the curvature. The sharper the panels have to curve to complete a circle, the more they become a lens. I see it as a tradeoff. I still want one.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

MarineandReef Jaron

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is this size and rimless the acrylic is likely very thick. The thicker the acrylic the worse the distortion. I would ask the builder what the acrylic thickness is.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scripps aquarium has a bunch of cylinder tanks around that size. There's some distortion for sure. I think you'd need a tank swimming pool-sized to avoid that. It's all about the curvature. The sharper the panels have to curve to complete a circle, the more they become a lens. I see it as a tradeoff. I still want one.
yea I as much as I like them aesthetically the distortion is just too much for me. Even on a huge tank like the one at moody gardens, the distortion is still very noticeable

Nutramar Foods

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is magic eraser the only thing you could use to clean a cylinder tank? i can imagine that getting old fast lol
They work great if you do it daily.. if you let corraline start collecting then it’s plastic blades etc.. it does get old.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest pain you’ll ever have trying to clean and not scratch.. not to mention distortion like others mentioned.
At only 20" tall, it would be fairly easy to clean. A 4" razor/scraper like those used to scrape windows, turned vertically, should move smoothly around the inside and clean the entire tank rather quickly...at least I think it would? I don't mind putting my hands in the tank to clean.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At only 20" tall, it would be fairly easy to clean. A 4" razor/scraper turned vertically should move smoothly around the inside and clean the entire tank rather quickly...at least I think it would?
A plastic razor scraper.. you can try a metal one but you’ll end up gouging it and some point without a doubt. Once corraline builds up it sucks to scrape on a radius.. credit card would be your best as it’s flexible..

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plastic razor scraper.. you can try a metal one but you’ll end up gouging it and some point without a doubt. Once corraline builds up it sucks to scrape on a radius.. credit card would be your best as it’s flexible..
Yes! I used old credit cards on my 240 acrylic cube years ago. Forgot about that! I'm kinda anal about cleaning my tank glass and do it almost every day.

CLICK TO VIEW
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back