Thoughts On Powerheads At Peninsula Overflow End Only?

BRS

KalamazooReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone who has a 4 or 5 foot long peninsula tank has powerheads located ONLY on the overflow end, and is able to keep SPS thriving and not constantly need to vacuum the sand on the opposite end of the tank where the detritus gets pushed? I know Reefdudes somehow pulls this off, but I’m not sure how he gets away with it. Logically, I’d think it would result in a lot of increased maintenance, but maybe I’m wrong. Currently running a gyre pump on the far end, to push debris back toward the overflow, but for sight lines, will eliminate this if I can reasonably do so.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
KalamazooReefer

KalamazooReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't have a peninsula, I've seen more than a few peninsula tanks configured the way you indicate.
Well, that’s encouraging! I’ve only seen the one, but there are no reefers in my local area, so it’s for sure possible more everyday reefers are doing this and I just haven’t encountered it. Thanks brother.

Nutramar Foods

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that’s encouraging! I’ve only seen the one, but there are no reefers in my local area, so it’s for sure possible more everyday reefers are doing this and I just haven’t encountered it. Thanks brother.
If you search a bit on YouTube, you'll find some really large peninsula tanks (like 8'+) where they just run some MP40/60s on the overflow side.

Here's one channel from Germany that often features a lot of peninsula-style tanks.

OP
OP
KalamazooReefer

KalamazooReefer

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unique Corals showroom has a some 5 and 6' peninsula tanks setup with SPS using only a couple of Panta Rhei ECM 42's -- pricey but very powerful and in a league beyond the typical powerhead.

Dave B
Probably beyond my budget, but I’ll still check them out and dream. Thanks for the info!

Nutramar Foods

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can do it if you create a standing wave. It will became all about wave science and timing.
with the maxspect gyre I think you can be a bit more precise with the timing. but in reality no one gives you a pulse, pulse, pulse, wait X seconds, pulse, pulse, pulse. The "wait" is the return part of the wave. Just think about ocean waves hitting the shore.
I maybe wrong about being able to program that on a MP40,

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you can do it if you create a standing wave. It will became all about wave science and timing.
with the maxspect gyre I think you can be a bit more precise with the timing. but in reality no one gives you a pulse, pulse, pulse, wait X seconds, pulse, pulse, pulse. The "wait" is the return part of the wave. Just think about ocean waves hitting the shore.
I maybe wrong about being able to program that on a MP40,

I know on the bigger pumps like the Panta Rhei ECM 63 and the Abyzz AFC-150 Flow Cannon you can. (I have both pumps). And the programinning is Pulse (Strength and Duration) then Pause (Strength & Duration). From those 4 settings are infinite possibilities to find the right settings to build the optimal wave for your system. As the corals grow those setting will change.

Dave B

cliffE

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know on the bigger pumps like the Panta Rhei ECM 63 and the Abyzz AFC-150 Flow Cannon you can. (I have both pumps). And the programinning is Pulse (Strength and Duration) then Pause (Strength & Duration). From those 4 settings are infinite possibilities to find the right settings to build the optimal wave for your system. As the corals grow those setting will change.

Dave B
Thanks Dave

I’ve seen your videos and build on RC website. You are a guru in this field.

Since my tank is more cube shaped I’m thinking a couple ECM 42 pro added to the octopulse 4. I really want to grow sps but in my current set up it is a struggle for some reason.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Kessil
Back