Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300G 8 ft tang. I want to see thoughts on adding 2 small biota yellow tangs and 1 purple. I currently have a 4 inch gem tang, pair of orange storm clowns, rhomboid wrasse, lawnmower blenny and a Midas blenny. I had started with the gem tang because a friend said he had 2 x 4inch yellows he would sell me and that he just had to catch them. Based on that i got a gem around same size, and I got him at a good prive. But Seems now that theres a chance those fish may not be coming my way. I know biota yellows are small but thought maybe them and them small purple would be enough to keep the gem guessing and would be in acclimation box for as long as needed. I know i may be hoping for alot but what do you all think? Can it be done?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300G 8 ft tang. I want to see thoughts on adding 2 small biota yellow tangs and 1 purple. I currently have a 4 inch gem tang, pair of orange storm clowns, rhomboid wrasse, lawnmower blenny and a Midas blenny. I had started with the gem tang because a friend said he had 2 x 4inch yellows he would sell me and that he just had to catch them. Based on that i got a gem around same size, and I got him at a good prive. But Seems now that theres a chance those fish may not be coming my way. I know biota yellows are small but thought maybe them and them small purple would be enough to keep the gem guessing and would be in acclimation box for as long as needed. I know i may be hoping for alot but what do you all think? Can it be done?
A gemmatum is likely to kill one or all of the tangs you want to add.
These guys are nasty and generally don’t do well with others from that genus that are added after them, I wouldn’t personally risk it.

jda

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have any chance, you would need to raise those biota tangs in another tank until they grow an inch or two and can fight for food. When they can do this, they can usually take care of themselves. I have never had Gem Tangs be all that aggressive, but I feed a LOT and have plenty of stacked rock for the fish to escape and hide - not caves and arches that humans like but do not usually make fish feel comfortable all of the time.

Top Shelf Aquatics

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best way to add is removing the Gem tang for an extended period of time to get the smaller tangs to establish. Once the smaller tangs really doing well then you can add the Gem tang

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back