+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Established tank, 78 gallon. Current fish load

2 Clown
6 line wrasse
Watchman Goby
Azure Damsel

I am thinking of a Mandarin, not sure on the color. Would my tank be ready? I have a wine cooler with a large amount of white worms that should be ready to harvest in around 2 weeks. I am just curious what my chances are of getting the Mandarin to eat white worms or should I just lean toward another fish? Over time I see very few pods or any other small crustacean, which seems to be what happened with my tanks in the past, certain species will bloom and then basically some other predator whittles them down. If getting a Dragonet is a bad idea I can look into other fish. I am leaning toward Mandarin Dragonet because they have a good amount of personality, much like my 6 line does.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Zach B

North American Noo-Psyche Sales Representative
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Your tank would need a good amount of pods, not sure if they will eat the white worms. How old is the tank? Also do you run a refugium? This can help big time with pods. Best of luck :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would never keep a mandarin trained to other foods. Pods are what they're built for. Mine never stops hunting and eating. If you have a refugium, I wouldn't see an issue. The only reservation I have is the 6 line. They are pod eaters so already putting a dent in the food supply.

If you want one, it can happen. Dosing live phyto will help bolster a pod population. As well as having a refugium.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank would need a good amount of pods, not sure if they will eat the white worms. How old is the tank? Also do you run a refugium? This can help big time with pods. Best of luck :)

I really thought I put "2 years" in my post, my bad because now rereading it I see that is missing. I do not have a refugium, but a rather decent sized sump with sections of macro algae and rock.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would never keep a mandarin trained to other foods. Pods are what they're built for. Mine never stops hunting and eating. If you have a refugium, I wouldn't see an issue. The only reservation I have is the 6 line. They are pod eaters so already putting a dent in the food supply.

If you want one, it can happen. Dosing live phyto will help bolster a pod population. As well as having a refugium.

It sounds to me like I need to give up the idea until the next tank iteration, maybe I will make another post for fish recommendations.

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really thought I put "2 years" in my post, my bad because now rereading it I see that is missing. I do not have a refugium, but a rather decent sized sump with sections of macro algae and rock.
The macro algae is what we were referring to when talking about a refugium.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with a mandarin.

As I mentioned before live phyto would help and is very beneficial for a tank in my eyes.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The macro algae is what we were referring to when talking about a refugium.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with a mandarin.

As I mentioned before live phyto would help and is very beneficial for a tank in my eyes.

One side of my sump is where I have a good large chunk of macro and filled to the top with rock.

Jekyl

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the benefit of the live phyto, my LFS gives it away.
Adds another layer to the food chain. Actually helped the algae and cyano I've had previously too.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

steveschuerger

Corals Admittedly Goni and Torch/Frogspawn nut
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have a hob refugium that’s been basically empty for a number of month that I’m about to get back in shape with some live rock and either chaeto or another macro algae. I’ve already got a bunch of pods plus a monthly subscription to Dinkins for pod/rotifers amd phyto every month. If you’ve got lots of potential pod eaters this might be the way to go at least til you get a growing pod population. As it is I recently introduced a Melanurus wrasse and have a couple more wrasses coming for my 60 gallon . My plan is to add one or two Mandarins as well. One of the reasons I’ve tried to have a fair amount of live rock. So to sum up as long as you’ve got a solid population of pods and either a refugium or maybe sump space for them to grow you should be ok.

BRS
Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back